Euromex or Motic?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
LouiseScot

Euromex or Motic?

#1 Post by LouiseScot » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:37 pm

Hi
I just joined this forum :) I've had an oldish unbranded trinocular scope since the '90s which I've upgraded to plan objectives. However, I'd like to get a better, newer trinocular scope and one already set up for phase contrast. I've been looking at the Euromex Oxion model and the Motic Panthera cc. Both Chinese, and they seem very similar in most respects and are similar prices. I do get a bit confused with objectives options (both are infinity corrected). Obviously, I'll be using phase contrast objectives. Motic do objectives which they label UC (ultra contrast) - anyone know if that's really just marketing? They don't mark the actual objectives with UC or include it in their listing. Euromex do just 'Plan Phase', no 'UC' or similar. I'm wondering how interchangeable the different sourced infinity corrected objectives might be? Motic appear to offer more aftermarket options for objectives. If anyone has any general comments about Euromex/Motic optical and build quality, I'd be pleased to hear.
Many thanks
Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

apochronaut

Re: Euromex or Motic?

#2 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:06 pm

One big difference is that Euromex is a broker and Motic is a manufacturer. Motic were originally in Hong Kong, so were outside of the maelstrom of Chinese industrial organization but they have no doubt had to capitulate to the requirements of the Chinese planned economy, where beaurocracy often determines where components are made, how they are finished and how they are sold.

You might check out Radical Scientific in India. They are both manufacturers , assemblers and brokers.They offer virtually the same microscopes as most of the suppliers that one would assume utilize Chinese components offer but also have a staggering array of accessories , including DIC, planfluor, planapo objectives, water dipping objectives. The microscopes say Made in India on them. There may be something in Indian law that allows for that if a sufficient amount of production or assembly takes place there, because I am sure I see many of the same components on a bunch of those scopes and even whole scopes that I associate with China. For sure the two countries are in bed together when it comes to the mfg. of microscopes and components but it is curious why Radical has such a sophisticated stocklist that very few Chinese companies can match. Amscope , I know for sure is selling some Indian parts but everyone thinks all of it is Chinese.

I have bought one part from them. The shipping and customer care was unparalelled. Best I have experienced on ebay in a long time. 13.00 to ship an objective to Canada and it was delivered to my door in 6 days!

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:18 pm

Have you seen good reviews of Radical scopes overall? I have only seen one iirc, but it was very negative.

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:41 pm

Welcome Louise,
Here is a fairly recent post that might be relevant
viewtopic.php?t=7666
BTW, even (or especially...) for the big 4 modern microscopes, which are all infinity-corrected, objectives are not interchangeable among brands.
And here a very recent post that mentions Motic
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9772&p=83296&hilit=Panthera#p83296

LouiseScot

#5 Post by LouiseScot » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:10 pm

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I'll just have to go through all the specs/features of the Panthera vs Oxion and do a detailed compare. Then make a decision...

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:26 pm

I've had an oldish unbranded trinocular scope since the '90s which I've upgraded to plan objectives.
Could you post a photo of it? Just curious.

Given that you have a couple of decades of experience, I wonder why you have not considered buying one of the big 4ish.

They all have modular systems that allow for practically unlimited expansion. Much more bang for your buck with just a little patience.

This link: https://www.djtsolutions.com/panthera-u/ has prices that range from $1400 to $1900, though a quick look through does not seem to mention Phase Contrast.

Even assuming Phase is within that price range, one can do better with a used quality microscope.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

LouiseScot

#7 Post by LouiseScot » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:08 pm

Hi
Here is a pic of my current scope:
MicroscopeSmall.jpg
MicroscopeSmall.jpg (22.75 KiB) Viewed 10184 times
I'm in the UK. I think I bought it from Brunel Microscopes. It was in storage for quite a few years. I've only recently resurrected my interest though I've previously used research grade microscopes at Uni. The big 4 are way too expensive for me. Yes, I could conceivably pick up a reasonable one second hand but there's obviously a risk doing that. I was looking at around £2000 for a Phase Contrast scope. I've just managed to save a little money over lockdown - I'm not rich! I've been retired for a few years now and my future years of using a scope seem to be dwindling! I probably don't need any other add-ons other than maybe better objectives. I imagine the Motic UC Plan Phase ones will be ok for now - if I get a Motic. I was wondering - would there be any practical difference between a claimed 1um focus sensitivity (Euromex) and a 2um sensitivity (Motic)?

Thanks
Louise

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:39 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:18 pm
Have you seen good reviews of Radical scopes overall? I have only seen one iirc, but it was very negative.
on-line reviews aren't exactly where I go go for information.
I got better service on ebay than usual from Radical. They had a planfluorite objective on my doorstep in 6 days.....13.00 and I can't remember exactly but around 100.00 for the objective. By and large, since almost all of the 1500 or so parts and scopes I have bought have come from the U.S. my review of American ebay sellers is pretty dismal. I was just quoted 130.00 to ship 10 lbs. 500 miles by some clown, who probably has to look Canada up on google earth.

Here is their list of objectives. https://www.radicalindia.com/upgrade-optics.php

75RR

#9 Post by 75RR » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:43 pm

I did mean that you look at second hand microscopes from the big 4 or 5 ish. New from any of them is crazy.

£2000 is a very generous budget within the used microscope market, and I mean very generous!

You can get a good quality used microscope with phase for less than half that with a little patience.
I was wondering - would there be any practical difference between a claimed 1um focus sensitivity (Euromex) and a 2um sensitivity (Motic)?
I would not lend any credence to the 1µm claim from euromex.

LouiseScot

#10 Post by LouiseScot » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:59 pm

"£2000 is a very generous budget within the used microscope market, and I mean very generous!
You can get a good quality used microscope with phase for less than half that with a little patience."

That would suggest that new Euromex or Motic are poor quality? My current one was relatively cheap but has served me well.

Louise

75RR

#11 Post by 75RR » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:48 am

That would suggest that new Euromex or Motic are poor quality?
I am saying that the quality of the big 4 research microscopes from the 160 tube length era is superior.

Still, a used microscope is not for everyone. You should however look into it before deciding.

Have a read through this pdf: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... oscope.pdf

david_b

#12 Post by david_b » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:18 am

I had a Brunel microscope with plan objectives and decided to upgrade to a Motic BA310
I found that the change to 30mm eyepieces was a huge improvement in viewing comfort, but the Motic ojectives were no better than the generic Brunel objectives and in a direct comparison actually show more chromatic aberration.

apochronaut

#13 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:01 pm

LouiseScot wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:59 pm
"£2000 is a very generous budget within the used microscope market, and I mean very generous!
You can get a good quality used microscope with phase for less than half that with a little patience."

That would suggest that new Euromex or Motic are poor quality? My current one was relatively cheap but has served me well.

Louise
You have to look at it from the standpoint of what you are looking for and what you are getting in terms of features for your £. You have an interest in phase contrast and are concerned about the relative precision of a 1 micron fine focus compared to a 2 micron fine focus. That's primarily what I see. I think you are more concerned about the proximity of the dealer, or some kind of security related to the purchase , though. I can sell you a used 4 objective phase contrast microscope with 4 extra bright field objectives and a trinocular head in immaculate condition for 800.00, shipped to England . It will still be working well after the Motic or Brunel or Euromex microscopes are in the dumpster but would you go for that? I think not.

So, lets look at a practical solution. You already have a microscope. You don't say whether it has plan objectives or not or whether it is 160mm but I assume it is? I'm curious why you wouldn't go back to Brunel and see if a phase condenser and objectives are available for your current scope? All you need is the sleeve size for the condenser, then a condenser and matching objectives can be found. You are going to need 8 objectives or more, no matter what microscope you have because phase objectives introduce spherical aberration when used for BF and softens the image. If you buy a phase contrast microscope, in order to get high quality imaging you will only be able to use it for phase......or do you plan on keeping the current one for BF and have two dedicated microscopes? If that is the case, you don't need to spend £2000.00 on a phase microscope, just maybe 700 or so. Planachros can only take you so far. I would save the extra money you are considering spending on fancy planachros and start finding Planfluorite or planapo objectives to upgrade your existing stand, or a new 700.00 stand, whichever you choose. They require 45mm parfocal objectives. With a little patience you should be able to find 4 or even more for the money you saved , infinity or 160mm, whichever is needed.
Don't worry too much about the focus having one or two microns graduation. Largely that is just a marked graduation on a scale. Swap the knobs and therefore the graduations over from one mic to the other and the one with the finer graduation would have the finer graduation. Parts within fine focus mechanisms used to be made from finely machined steel and brass micrometer screws, needle pivots, clock gear sets. Modern ones are helical screws, orbital worms , nylon or plastic clock mechanisms but are mostly nylon or plastic The precision of movement is provided largely by damping grease, not the mechanism so much. It's only a matter of time before the lubricant fails and the mechanism loses it's precision. Chinese budget microscopes have been on the market for almost 40 years now and they were built better 40 years ago. How many do you see on the used market in good working condition? Maybe ask Brunel, they have been selling them for years.

e
Last edited by apochronaut on Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

photomicro

#14 Post by photomicro » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:03 pm

Have sent PM, but not sure if you have been a member long enough.

LouiseScot

#15 Post by LouiseScot » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:09 pm

75RR wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:48 am
That would suggest that new Euromex or Motic are poor quality?
I am saying that the quality of the big 4 research microscopes from the 160 tube length era is superior.

Still, a used microscope is not for everyone. You should however look into it before deciding.

Have a read through this pdf: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... oscope.pdf
Of course, a 'big 4' scope is going to be better quality - as you say 'superior'. I have looked online and on Ebay but haven't seen anything affordable. Plus there's a risk in buying second hand. At the end of the day, I just want something affordable and useable. At my (old!) age it will probably only have to last me about 10 years max. Still, I'm looking at various options. I'll be keeping my current scope so a second scope will be an additional instrument. I'll maybe keep the current one for brightfield and darkfield, the newer one for dedicated phase contrast. I have experience of using an Olympus (and other makes) over the years so I know the difference in optical and mechanical quality. This is the BX50WI I used to use on a more or less daily basis. It's fitted with IR DIC and Epifluorescence:
PatchClampRig.jpg
PatchClampRig.jpg (141.26 KiB) Viewed 10112 times
It did have some mechanical issues though.

Louise

75RR

#16 Post by 75RR » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:13 pm

Hope you enjoy your shiny new microscope for many years yet :)

75RR

#17 Post by 75RR » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:15 pm

photomicro wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:03 pm
New members can receive but not sent PMs so you would need to include a means of contact.

LouiseScot

#18 Post by LouiseScot » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:22 pm

75RR wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:15 pm
photomicro wrote:
New members can receive but not sent PMs so you would need to include a means of contact.
I did send a reply - at least, it gave me the appearance of being sent!
Louise

LouiseScot

#19 Post by LouiseScot » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:26 pm

LouiseScot wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:22 pm
75RR wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:15 pm
photomicro wrote:
I did send a reply - at least, it gave me the appearance of being sent!
Louise
ps it seems to be sat in my Outbox. How long before I'm able to actually reply to a PM??

Hobbyst46

#20 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:35 pm

Here is an example of an Olympus BH-2. With phase contrast. Just picked it out of eBay. I am not related to the seller in any way.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-Trinoc ... Swpq1fAnd7
With phase condenser and two SPlans (I am 99% sure), 40X and 100X phase. And very good eyepieces.
Price is negotiable. So even including taxes and shipping (well I do not know the shipping rate to the UK) it will cost less than 2000BP.
Add a 10X and 20X phase objective and it becomes a system - ignoring for the time being that phase contrast objectives are not the optimum for brightfield/darkfield.
The BH-2 is a fine microscope. The BX50 is not much better for hobby use.
Of course, the anti-vibration table and other accessories in the photo is a luxury in itself, but that goes with the lab...

LouiseScot

#21 Post by LouiseScot » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:10 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:35 pm
Here is an example of an Olympus BH-2. With phase contrast. Just picked it out of eBay. I am not related to the seller in any way.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-Trinoc ... Swpq1fAnd7
With phase condenser and two SPlans (I am 99% sure), 40X and 100X phase. And very good eyepieces.
Price is negotiable. So even including taxes and shipping (well I do not know the shipping rate to the UK) it will cost less than 2000BP.
Add a 10X and 20X phase objective and it becomes a system - ignoring for the time being that phase contrast objectives are not the optimum for brightfield/darkfield.
The BH-2 is a fine microscope. The BX50 is not much better for hobby use.
Of course, the anti-vibration table and other accessories in the photo is a luxury in itself, but that goes with the lab...
I'm sorry but I wouldn't buy anything second hand from the States. I'd be nervous about buying second hand even within the UK. If I could see it first and try it out, that might be a different matter, but the chances of finding something I'd like that's close by are probably slim. I'd try my local Uni on the off chance, but I don't have any contacts there anymore and it's still pretty well shut for now anyway.
Louise

LouiseScot

#22 Post by LouiseScot » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:45 pm

photomicro wrote:
Here is reply I sent:
"Thanks for your message. I'm in Scotland but not mobile. I'd like to use the phase contrast for looking at live cells. It would be a nice to have. The Panthera can be fitted with a phase contrast turret that allows you to do phase contrast, darkfield and brightfield. I've done some darkfield with my current scope, as well as polarized light (it's easy to add a DIY polarizer and analyzer). My focus, so to speak, is on digital imaging rather than direct observation, especially as my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be. I'm currently awaiting a cataract op which could come up quite soon. In the meantime the microscopy is a secondary hobby. My main one is astrophotography but, of course, that's highly weather-dependant and is always blighted by light pollution."
Regards
Louise

LouiseScot

#23 Post by LouiseScot » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:10 pm

david_b wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:18 am
I had a Brunel microscope with plan objectives and decided to upgrade to a Motic BA310
I found that the change to 30mm eyepieces was a huge improvement in viewing comfort, but the Motic ojectives were no better than the generic Brunel objectives and in a direct comparison actually show more chromatic aberration.
Hi David

I thought I'd replied to this earlier but maybe I didn't 'submit', d'uh. Anyway, I'd asked you what Motic objectives you have/had? Are they 'EC' Plan achromats?
They do 10x/22mm UC eyepieces and UC Plan objectives (optional Phase) for the Panthera. I asked Motic what the difference is. They said "The major difference is the Plan UC is a newer objective with better resolution and contrast, and it is used for Panthera series, while the Plan EC is for the BA series." Not very informative really. They are still achromats :)

Louise

MichaelG.

#24 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:12 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:35 pm
... So even including taxes and shipping (well I do not know the shipping rate to the UK) ...
May I just note for reference: Importing into the UK can be quite a costly business

The system is clearly described here:
https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

N.B. __ the Devil is in the detail !!

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Zuul

#25 Post by Zuul » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:23 pm

[/quote]
ps it seems to be sat in my Outbox. How long before I'm able to actually reply to a PM??
[/quote]

When you send a PM it will remain in your Outbox until read by the recipient. That's standard behavior for this forum software.

LouiseScot

#26 Post by LouiseScot » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:35 pm

Zuul wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:23 pm
[/quote]

When you send a PM it will remain in your Outbox until read by the recipient. That's standard behavior for this forum software.
[/quote]

It was said above that, as a new member, I can't yet reply to PMs
Louise

david_b

#27 Post by david_b » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:55 pm

LouiseScot wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:10 pm
Hi David

I thought I'd replied to this earlier but maybe I didn't 'submit', d'uh. Anyway, I'd asked you what Motic objectives you have/had? Are they 'EC' Plan achromats?
They do 10x/22mm UC eyepieces and UC Plan objectives (optional Phase) for the Panthera. I asked Motic what the difference is. They said "The major difference is the Plan UC is a newer objective with better resolution and contrast, and it is used for Panthera series, while the Plan EC is for the BA series." Not very informative really. They are still achromats :)

Louise
Hi Louise

The Motic BA310 objectives are EC Plan. I'm afraid I don't know anything about the Panthera.
This is a test image produced with the Brunel plan objective.
https://ibb.co/1vKwP58

LouiseScot

#28 Post by LouiseScot » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:05 pm

david_b wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:55 pm
LouiseScot wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:10 pm
Hi David

Louise
Hi Louise

The Motic BA310 objectives are EC Plan. I'm afraid I don't know anything about the Panthera.
This is a test image produced with the Brunel plan objective.
https://ibb.co/1vKwP58
As I said, they claim the Panthera UC is 'higher contrast and resolution' compared to the EC objective.
Louise

LouiseScot

#29 Post by LouiseScot » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:57 pm

I was just wondering about the use of infinity-corrected objectives in a finite tube? My old Brunel (above) has a 160mm tube length. I bought a x20 plan objective for it a while ago (all 4 are Plan now) but the one I received is marked as an infinity objective. However, it seems to work ok (or am I deluding myself?) - at least, it's no worse than the other fitted Plan Achromat objectives. I'm thinking of buying one of the Motic UC Plan Achromats just to test/see what it's like optically. Normally it would go in an infinity corrected scope (Panthera series), obviously fitted with a tube lens. Is it likely to perform poorly in my current finite tubed scope? I've never quite understood exactly what a tube lens does in terms of aberration and maybe also colour correction?
Thanks for any expertise/advice :)
Louise

75RR

#30 Post by 75RR » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:34 pm

LouiseScot wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:57 pm
I was just wondering about the use of infinity-corrected objectives in a finite tube? My old Brunel (above) has a 160mm tube length. I bought a x20 plan objective for it a while ago (all 4 are Plan now) but the one I received is marked as an infinity objective.
What is the Numerical Aperture of the 20x objective?