Where Can I Find Ciliates without Any Creeks or Ponds?

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
DonSchaeffer

Where Can I Find Ciliates without Any Creeks or Ponds?

#1 Post by DonSchaeffer » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:34 am

I live in an area without convenient access to a natural water source. I tried collecting samples from puddles, old watering cans, rainwater collectors. I have made cultures from grass and flowers. I'm having no luck finding microbes to hunt. Any suggestions?

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: Where Can I Find Ciliates without Any Creeks or Ponds?

#2 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:50 am

Also, if you want to see some nematodes, even houseplants will have them in their soil. Who knows what else might have snuck in from the nursery?
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

deBult

#3 Post by deBult » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:39 am

Try the water from a flower vase after the flowers we're in for a few day’s.
Or squeeze the liquid out of a bit of water soaked moss if you can find some (with luck you find some water bears).

Weird the cultures from (dried) lettuce, hay, a corn of grain, tiny piece of cheese etc. did not work out.
I usually start with boiling (A few minutes) some soil in water (for nutrients) cool down, poor the liquid (not the dirt) in a glass jam jar (no lid) add a bit (don’t overdo) of one of the above Ingredients , wait a few day’s until it starts smelling foul ... and eureka.

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:56 am

deBult wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:39 am
Try the water from a flower vase after the flowers we're in for a few day’s.
Or squeeze the liquid out of a bit of water soaked moss if you can find some (with luck you find some water bears).

Weird the cultures from (dried) lettuce, hay, a corn of grain, tiny piece of cheese etc. did not work out.
I usually start with boiling (A few minutes) some soil in water (for nutrients) cool down, poor the liquid (not the dirt) in a glass jam jar (no lid) add a bit (don’t overdo) of one of the above Ingredients , wait a few day’s until it starts smelling foul ... and eureka.
Rotting peels and hay work even without dirt.
Immerse a banana peel, or a bunch of yellow dry hay (any) in a cup of water. As is, without boiling. Place it in a non-cold place (say, temperature of 20-30C). Wait several days. At first you will see a few ciliates. But they multiply within a couple of days.

DonSchaeffer

#5 Post by DonSchaeffer » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:23 pm

Cultures usually make a lot of bacteria and cynobacteria but only rare microbes.

DrPhoxinus

#6 Post by DrPhoxinus » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:34 pm

In my experience it is important to set up a series of culture jars with varying amounts of dried grass etc.
Too much grass gives an anaerobic environment not good for ciliates

I have used damp soil from a houseplant and gotten some nice Colpoda.

Gerard

DonSchaeffer

#7 Post by DonSchaeffer » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:37 pm

Wow! great suggestions. I'm busy.

Zuul

#8 Post by Zuul » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:52 pm

I’ve found a birdbath, left to its own devices other than topping off, develops quite a rich ecosystem. Large surface area catches lots of airborn “stuff” and visitation by a variety of critters that bring many hitchhikers.

DonSchaeffer

#9 Post by DonSchaeffer » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:21 pm

Thanks Zuui. Actually my old lawn grass culture has yielded at least a couple of rotifers, a round ciliate, and a very active nematode. I'm a happy cmaper.

apochronaut

#10 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:45 am

Don. You have posted some photos of Goldeye bones. Presumably you had a Winnipeg Goldeye in hand and can get another. There is your goldmine of cultures. Cut off a chunk of tail , gills , scales or fins and culture them briefly with a bit of sugar....10-20 grains or so. Then strain off the fish parts and reculture, keeping in the sun. It will smell a bit but you've got your goldmine, er, goldeye. Reculturing will lose the fish smell and it will reduce to just swamp. Kind of like the Winnipeg tap water. Lots of stuff will emerge from that culture. If the fishmonger you bought the goldeye from is in direct contact with the fisherman, see if he can put in a request for a clump of algae from Lake Winnipeg.

DonSchaeffer

#11 Post by DonSchaeffer » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:35 am

I bought the goldeye from my nearby IGA and had three breakfasts with it. My son has a cabin at Lake Winnipeg and I keep begging for water samples, so far not forthcoming. Thanks.