Adaptor for DSLR camera

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
Luca

Adaptor for DSLR camera

#1 Post by Luca » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:36 am

Hello all!

I have a Nikon D5300 and I was wondering if anyone could recommend an adaptor so I can use it to take pictures through the eyepiece? I know it's going to be heavy so I'll need to hold / prop it up, but I'd really like to try using it instead of the little one that came with the microscope.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

Froodster99

Re: Adaptor for DSLR camera

#2 Post by Froodster99 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:26 am

Hi, apologies for jumping onto your thread, but have exactly the same question, except I want to use a Canon 5DMkIII.

From what I can tell I need 3 pieces of kit:
  • An adapter ring that fits directly to the camera body (I place of a usual lens, e.g a T2 mount for a Canon)
    A hollow tube that fits on to the microscope (a “C” mount?)
    An ocular lens that fits somewhere in the tube to focus and magnify subject (this is the bit I’m most unsure of)
It’s really difficult to get specifics, I’ve even failed when searching this thread. I hope someone can shed some light.

Luca

#3 Post by Luca » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:31 pm

Please do jump on!

Have you seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju8rgeJr3bI

Oliver links to the adaptor, but I wasn't sure whether it would work for Nikon as well as Canon, but it may work for you.

I'm also very confused about what parts I need - he says something about needing an adaptor ring, but I don't know how the mechanics of it work...

Hopefully someone will give us some pointers!

Edit - I've also found this link to camera adaptors in his shop: https://www.amazon.com/ideas/amzn1.acco ... robehunter - just looking at it in more detail now...

Zuul

#4 Post by Zuul » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:44 pm

The best way to connect a DSLR depends more on the microscope than the camera. Typically, it is preferred to avoid eye-piece adapters for DSLR's due the size and weight. (modern smartphones may actually be a better solution for adapting to the eyepiece ... the quality can be very good) A dedicated photo head or trinocular head is strongly recommended. DSLR's can provide higher quality photos when properly implemented, but getting the set-up right can be relatively difficult.

Luca

#5 Post by Luca » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:05 pm

Thank you for your reply! I understand that it's going to be awkward trying to use my DSLR without a trinocular head, but I really want to give it a go. Can you explain what you mean by a dedicated photo head? Presumably this is something that is an integrated part of a microscope?

Zuul

#6 Post by Zuul » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:10 pm

Luca wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:05 pm
Thank you for your reply! I understand that it's going to be awkward trying to use my DSLR without a trinocular head, but I really want to give it a go. Can you explain what you mean by a dedicated photo head? Presumably this is something that is an integrated part of a microscope?
I meant a monocular head that is used exclusively for the camera. Instead of taking the camera on and off, you would swap heads. Some companies have vertical tube heads for this purpose, or you can adapt a standard head. The point of it, though, is that you can use a more permanent and stable attachment method for the camera.

An adapter that slides in place of one eyepiece isn’t ever going to be very stable for something as large and heavy as a DSLR. But, something more substantial that clamps on is going to inhibit normal use of the binocular head.

Luca

#7 Post by Luca » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:12 pm

Ah okay, thanks for clarifying!