My first microscope thank you for your help that you did not even know you had given.

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Hawk_za

My first microscope thank you for your help that you did not even know you had given.

#1 Post by Hawk_za » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:01 pm

HI everyone :D i felt i needed to share this story with those that are interested.

Firstly i would like to say a big thank you to all in who's post i scoured till early hours of the morning here, and a very big thanks to microbe hunter, who's channel i stumbled across that rekindled my youthful quest to own a microscope.

So were do i begin, i could not afford a lavish microscope :( so i landed up paying about $200 for a omax 40-2000 it comes with a x/y adjustable stage slide clip and abbe condenser as well as a 4x 10x 40x and 100x achromatic objective, and 3w LED diffused lighting ....good value for money in my mind.

The down side is it is the older din standard so in a few years i do foresee upgrading it being a problem, .....but for now with enough money i can even upgrade it to do fluorescence, dark field or phase contrast, buuut that's much further down the line.

In addition the power source does not come with an adaptor :x (below for pic) so unless you live in an area where you have 2 plat pins you gonna need a travel adaptor

HOWEVER having said that after consulting with these forums and Omax reps i do now have a Kohler lighting upgrade https://omaxmicroscope.com/microscope-a ... copes.html en rout as well as a full set of plan objectives including a 60x objective, as after a few trial runs with the oil lens i understand why the 100x oil is not used as often.

AGAIN HUGE THANKS to these forums that pointed me to a seller on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DIN-Plan-A ... %7Ciid%3A1 that stocks these at a ridiculously low price

When the scope arrived it had sustained packaging damage :shock: but all components were intact,much to my palpable relief. :P
So for my first slide used some basic paper words then quickly i moved on to onion cells, were i learned the importance of setting the condenser correctly.

I tried staining but my first attempt was a disaster :oops: ...to much stain not washed away and the layers folded over each-other a garbled mess of colour and layers. :oops:
i did not give up and the pics are below show a better result as i learned to have more patience when preparing a slide, better indeed but still needs work ...however for a second attempt i'm happy. :D

The few pics i was able to take with my phone being held up to the eye piece ...so please forgive the poor image quality also green filter.
I have even started to play with a dark-field patch ..but am not too happy with the results and need to figure out a few things (diameters - materials or i might try 3d print).

All in all i am thoroughly enjoying my newly rediscovered passion for learning and in these dark time any joy is good joy, thanks to your community for being here i have learned allot from forum posts and am currently working through a microbiology lectures on you tube to learn more about what i'm looking at.
anyhow i hope the pictures below along with the story above bring you a bit of happiness to you, knowing that you helped bring happiness to me ..they may not be very good but its the start of a long and fun road thank you all this awesome community you have created here with its wealth of knowledge and experience.

Hobbyst46

Re: My first microscope thank you for your help that you did not even know you had given.

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:13 pm

Congratulations. Enjoy!

apochronaut

Re: My first microscope thank you for your help that you did not even know you had given.

#3 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:28 pm

Actually, you don't need to worry about the 45mm parfocal D.I.N. standard becoming obsolete. It is well entrenched and will be around for a considerable time to come.
Excellent work and you are obviously enjoying your new toy!
Last edited by apochronaut on Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

dtsh

#4 Post by dtsh » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:01 am

Congrats, it looks like you made good use of the resources available.

rs6000

#5 Post by rs6000 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:41 pm

Very Nice Images sharply focused :D
BTW Is that A LBO-518 O-scope in the background you must come from a electronics field

Hawk_za

#6 Post by Hawk_za » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:12 pm

hey rs6000 thanks
as for the scope its a old analogue cos 6100 100 Mzh KIKUSUI oscilloscope i dabbled a bit with electronics as well
im actually a firefighter by profession. :D

rs6000

#7 Post by rs6000 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:37 pm

thanks for the reply it looks exactly like my old lbo-518 that I dabble in as well
cant really afford newer digital scopes plus there not repairable you spend 8K and when it goes it trash
while were on to images I present a very well ,exposed
DandilonUV.jpg
DandilonUV.jpg (118.26 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
Ultraviolet image I took with a Quartz lens back in 96

Hawk_za

#8 Post by Hawk_za » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:20 pm

Man the pick as very good.. One day... One day soon I too will make pictures like that 😊

Microworld Steve

#9 Post by Microworld Steve » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:27 pm

You have a real nice microscope. I also have an Omax, and I really like it. If you can answer these three questions with a yes, then you did good. 1. Did you get a good deal on the purchase? 2. Are you happy with the microscope? 3. Does it meet or exceed your expectations? I own several microscopes and can answer yes to all of them.

I like Oliver Kim aka Microbhunter. I watch his videos and I also save his videos I find on Youtube to an Mp4 so I can watch them over and over. I learn something new every time I watch them. :) Get you a microscope camera and have fun downloading millions of pictures. :D
If I can't see it with my microscope, it ain't worth looking at. :D