Thoughts on a reducing relay and a higher mag photoeyepiece

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
MicroMan2

Thoughts on a reducing relay and a higher mag photoeyepiece

#1 Post by MicroMan2 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:12 pm

Hello, I am interested in using a higher magnification Olympus NFK 3.3 eyepiece and a reducing relay to mimic the image of a NFK 2.5 eyepiece or even a 1.67x. Does anybody have experience in doing such an optical setup where a higher mag photoeyepiece is coupled with a relay to increase F.O.V ? If so how did you implement it and what were some caveats with the imaging? I am very curious. Thanks in advance for replying to this post.

Zuul

Re: Thoughts on a reducing relay and a higher mag photoeyepiece

#2 Post by Zuul » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:44 pm

Shouldn’t it be possible to raise the 3.3x very slightly and move the camera closer to it? That would be similar to how a 10x eyepiece is used as a projection lens. The adjustments would just be smaller.

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:49 pm

Zuul wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:44 pm
Shouldn’t it be possible to raise the 3.3x very slightly and move the camera closer to it? That would be similar to how a 10x eyepiece is used as a projection lens. The adjustments would just be smaller.
This wrecks optical quality unfortunately, at least in nfk relays: http://www.krebsmicro.com/NFK_lowermag/index.html
Oly pus provided their own reducing lens for small format cameras so it should be possible. It would take some experimentation though.

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:49 pm

The NFK are fairly highly corrected photo eyepieces with a specific projection length.

Two things come to mind . I think it would work best if placed after the NFK has provided a corrected image and you would want to consider using a widened photo tube and a wide relay lens. The projection distance for the NFKs is 125mm. Since you would be picking up an already corrected image there , some neutral lens like a reversed enlarger lens or copy lens seems like a starting point.

Check the photomacrography- amateurmicroscopy site. There are lots of really qualified contributors there. I' m sure some have done or tried that already.