AO Series 4 Removable Nosepiece?

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
Timemaster1212

AO Series 4 Removable Nosepiece?

#1 Post by Timemaster1212 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:51 am

Hello everybody. As i continue to improve (hopefully) my imaging, i am noticing a lot of blemishes from dust and other specks from a dirty light path, so i decided to clean my stand. However when it came time for me to remove the nose piece, it appears to be stuck. I know my stand has a removable nose piece from a manual available, however i can not for the life of me find out how to actually take advantage of this. Can anyone shed some light? Thanks!

apochronaut

Re: AO Series 4 Removable Nosepiece?

#2 Post by apochronaut » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:48 pm

Not all of them have that feature. There were two mounting plates for the nosepiece, with each type taking different types of nosepieces.
The permanent type has a mounting plate that screws into the yoke or eyelet at the objective end of the microscope arm with 3 screws. It features a female R.M.S. thread that accepts either a single objective adapter or a 2,3 or 4 place nosepiece with a male R.M.S. thread. This is a very traditional type of objective mount and goes back to the beginning of R.M.S.
The series 2/4 was a stand that bridged tradition and modernity, coming onto the market in 1956 or thereabouts. It also had the optional quick change nospiece.
In that arrangement the above mentioned mounting plate has been modified to have a female dovetail with 3 centering screws. Nosepieces with a male dovetail can be removed and installed fairly easily.
I rearrange the 3 screws for the quick change nosepiece. If only one nosepiece is used there are two allen grub screws with the heads rearward at 10 and 2 o'clock and a thumbscrew at 6 o'clock. Removing that 1 thumbscrew is not enough to allow the nosepiece to drop out. So, I put 2 thumbscrews at 10 and 2 and put 1 grub screw at 6. Slacking off the 2 thumbscrews is enough.

Timemaster1212

Re: AO Series 4 Removable Nosepiece?

#3 Post by Timemaster1212 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:41 pm

Oh those darn grub screws will be my bane. Thanks for the quick help!