Hello from Borgholm, Sweden

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
enricosavazzi

Hello from Borgholm, Sweden

#1 Post by enricosavazzi » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:07 pm

So far, transmission optical microscopy has not been one of my main interests, but now that I am retired and will have more time to spend on my hobbies, this might change.

I worked over 30 years as a university researcher and teacher in geosciences in a handful of countries, mostly Sweden. Functional morphology of invertebrates, both fossil and Recent, was my main subject. During this time, I routinely used SEM, stereomicroscopes, photomacroscopes and macro camera equipment to document my research and illustrate my publications. If interested in PDF copies of some of my papers, you can look me up (my name is Enrico Savazzi) on researchgate.net and academia.edu .

The last 12 years or so of my career, I switched jobs from academia to industry, working as a technical writer at telecom and software companies, largely as a consultant at Ericsson. I also have an interest in software development (C, C++, Java, C#) but my only commercial experience in this field was an 8-month stint as a Java developer (plus programming I did over the years for my publications and personal use). If anyone is still curious about my career, feel free to look up my profile on LinkedIn.

I have been interested in technical aspects of photography for almost as long as I can remember, and around the year 2000 I switched from film to digital camera equipment. My special interests are macrophotography, photomacrography, and imaging in both NUV and NIR, with some landscape, nature and wildlife photography thrown in to fill the gaps. You can google up, for example, my 2011 book "Digital photography for science" (warning: it contains only little about microscopes). I regularly post on photomacrography.net and ultravioletphotography.com .

In the 20 or so years before retiring, I started to assemble second-hand microscope equipment purchased mostly on eBay, as a preparation for my retirement. Initially I assembled a Zeiss Photomicroscope II with DIC, until I noticed that delamination of the optics (a well known problem with these microscopes) was degrading my equipment faster than I planned to keep and use it. To make a long story short, I got rid of the Photomic and kitted up an Olympus BX50 with transmitted DIC, darkfield, epifluorescence and an OMD E-M1 for imaging instead. This system is now largely complete and already usable although still missing, e.g., electronic flash for imaging fast-moving subjects. I also have a couple of stereomicroscopes and other related equipment. If curious, check out the photography section of my personal web site at http://www.savazzi.net/photography/default.htm .

The main thing that prevented me from making good use of this equipment was, besides having a job, moving four times in the past seven years or so, and in the last move buying a house that still requires lots of work both indoors and in the garden (in spite of my wife and me vowing never again to buy a house after selling our first one in Uppsala, in which we had raised our kids).

Things are looking better now, though. I no longer have the money to buy lots of equipment, but accumulated way too much of it until my retirement, and I am gradually winning back my precious free time to finally use this equipment.

75RR

Re: Hello from Borgholm, Sweden

#2 Post by 75RR » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:31 pm

Welcome enricosavazzi,

glad you have joined!
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

viktor j nilsson

#3 Post by viktor j nilsson » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:12 pm

Good to see you here as well, Enrico. I'm actually going to Öland tomorrow to see my dad and spend a couple of nights with my kids in a tent.. You've chosen a beautiful place to live!

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:24 pm

Welcome, Enrico. Have read many of your posts on the photomacrography pages.

KD Arvidsson

#5 Post by KD Arvidsson » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:26 pm

Welcome Erico :D I am from Sweden to, westcoast Of... //KD
Microscope Nikon Labophot 2
Panasonic GH4 and HY-2307 Camera+Euromex adapter.
Westcoast of Sweden.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjsgbq ... dyl2x0Atpw

Sabatini

#6 Post by Sabatini » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:47 pm

Hello enricosavazzi.
Your photography works are very remarkable.
Your knowledge and experience will be very helpful.

hkv

#7 Post by hkv » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:45 pm

Welcome Enrico! I am from Stockholm. Glad to see a fellow microscopist from Sweden here!
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/micromundus
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/micromundusphotography
Web: https://hakankvarnstrom.com
Olympus BX51 | Olympus CX23 | Olympus SZ40 | Carl ZEISS EVO LS 10 Lab6 | Carl Zeiss Jena Sedival