WTB Slide Storage Cabinet

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
Timemaster1212

WTB Slide Storage Cabinet

#1 Post by Timemaster1212 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:24 am

Hello all! I recently (like yesterday) began my journey in permanent slide making. However the issue of storsge came to mind, so I am interested in one! Does anyone have any they are willing to se, or any they recommend? Thanks!

Element 56

Re: WTB Slide Storage Cabinet

#2 Post by Element 56 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:05 am

As cheap and readily available alternative to a wood slide cabinet a index card cabinet can be gutted for slides. If memory serves a seven drawer cabinet will hold about 250 slides. eBay is not the place to buy them but here is an example of what I'm talking about.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-7-Draw ... SwKsReVxUo

This listing has some good pics of one of the drawers but as in the previous link the seller is confused about it's value
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Index- ... SwT9hcZeu1

They are expensive to ship and common which is why very few are sold on eBay. At flea markets, antique stores, fb marketplace, yard sales etc. the going price is around $30 or less. .

Kirby

Charles

#3 Post by Charles » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:17 pm

Timemaster1212 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:24 am
Hello all! I recently (like yesterday) began my journey in permanent slide making. However the issue of storsge came to mind, so I am interested in one! Does anyone have any they are willing to se, or any they recommend? Thanks!
If you want slide cabinets which store the slides flat, you can go real inexpensive with cardboard slide holders like these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Karter-Scienti ... 1438.l2649.

For a more permanent flat slide storage cabinet, you could look into Eberbach slide storage cabinets which new, runs from $500-$750 for a 25 drawer, 500 slide storage unit. You can find them used on ebay for around $300 + $80 shipping: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microscopic-Sl ... SwuOde~KMF

If you are in the US, I have a used Eberbach which I would ask $250 and whatever the shipping would come to. Picture below:
Eberbach Cabinet.jpg
Eberbach Cabinet.jpg (78.18 KiB) Viewed 6668 times

BramHuntingNematodes

#4 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:32 pm

Henry Lomb was a cabinetmaker-- maybe something you could look into as well. The construction of a slide cabinet is not technically complex as far as furniture goes, and the stresses it is expected to endure are small. Cardboard mailers slide neatly into the kerf of a typical table saw, or trays can be simply fabricated from hardwood plywood. The clear, tight grain of maple ply sold in many large big-box hardware stores is perfectly acceptable. It can double as paneling in a frame-and-panel cabinet if you prefer that construction to casework. I have always found the Eberbach aluminum trays to be profoundly expensive and less than aesthetic. If you find some cheap though, they work pretty good.

A good tip to keep in mind that I learned from here is that slides must be stored flat else the mountant will flow to one side. This is likely especially important for the amateur microtomist!
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

tgss

#5 Post by tgss » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:46 pm

I have been intending to do something about slide storage for some time and was finally inspired by Element 56's post at viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5953#p84057. For someone who does 3D printing this may be an acceptable option - not as elegant as Element 56's beautiful antique, but cheap, works well and is easily reproduced when necessary or modified for different types of slides. Excuse the colour choices as I just used what I had!
IMG_3901.JPG
IMG_3901.JPG (68.96 KiB) Viewed 6647 times
IMG_3902.JPG
IMG_3902.JPG (103.07 KiB) Viewed 6647 times
IMG_3903.JPG
IMG_3903.JPG (111.25 KiB) Viewed 6647 times
IMG_3904.JPG
IMG_3904.JPG (132.82 KiB) Viewed 6647 times
Overall size is about 8" wide by 7" by 7" and it holds 25 slide trays of 10 slides each. When you run out of space, print another one.
Tom W.

Element 56

#6 Post by Element 56 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:22 pm

Tom,
Your 3D printed cabinet is outstanding! Very well done! I don't know what it costs to print something like that but would think they would sell like hotcakes!
Kirby

tgss

#7 Post by tgss » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:03 pm

Kirby
Thanks for the kind words.
For printing I used a standard Creality Ender 3 printer which is relatively small and cheap but still has a good build volume. This project doesn't exactly stretch the printer to its limits on size but it is getting close. I used a PLA filament that I buy for $35.00 Canadian per kilogram, including taxes, so the material costs for the various components come out to:
Basic box $13.42 Cdn, $10.07 USD, 7.89 GBP
Sliding lid $2.49 Cdn, $1.87 USD, 1.46 GBP
Tray supports (green bits, 2 needed) $2.55 Cdn each, $1.91 USD, 1.50 GBP.
Slide trays (Print as many as you need, when you need them) $1.83 Cdn, $1.37 USD, 1.08 GBP.
Some double sided carpet tape (1-1/2 inches wide) to stick the tray supports to the inside of the basic box. You can use epoxy if you wish, but it's not necessary!
Cheers
Tom W.

Timemaster1212

#8 Post by Timemaster1212 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:06 pm

I do enjoy the 3d printed cabinet for a short term option! While i love the wooden cabinet it is way out of my budget

Element 56

#9 Post by Element 56 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:04 pm

tgss wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:03 pm
Kirby
Thanks for the kind words.
For printing I used a standard Creality Ender 3 printer which is relatively small and cheap but still has a good build volume. This project doesn't exactly stretch the printer to its limits on size but it is getting close. I used a PLA filament that I buy for $35.00 Canadian per kilogram, including taxes, so the material costs for the various components come out to:
Basic box $13.42 Cdn, $10.07 USD, 7.89 GBP
Sliding lid $2.49 Cdn, $1.87 USD, 1.46 GBP
Tray supports (green bits, 2 needed) $2.55 Cdn each, $1.91 USD, 1.50 GBP.
Slide trays (Print as many as you need, when you need them) $1.83 Cdn, $1.37 USD, 1.08 GBP.
Some double sided carpet tape (1-1/2 inches wide) to stick the tray supports to the inside of the basic box. You can use epoxy if you wish, but it's not necessary!
Cheers
Tom W.
Tom,

A worthy project well worth the invested sum. I still don't own a 3D printer but seeing what you guys are doing with them has piqued my interest. I assume you have to create a program to print something like this? I'm not very computer savvy so that's probably my main hesitation.

Are those all your own mounts too? They also look very well made!

Although currently sidelined this one of the drawers I made for the cabinet I'm building. I made a lot of mistakes but it will serve it's purpose and it should look pretty good. Each drawer will hold 40 slides and I intended on making 30 drawers. However, while working on the project I learned my dust collection system wasn't good enough for the work I was doing and I also found out I'm very sensitive to Walnut dust. It makes me feel sick so I stopped. I have done wood and metal working for over 20 years and worked with many domestic and imported exotic hardwoods, Ivory, mother of pearl and more but never experienced anything like I experienced with Walnut. I have since refinished my shop and added a new dust collection system but I still have about a month or so worth of work before it will be ready for me to start making dust again. I really hope I can finish it!
IMG_10082020_134920_(600_x_800_pixel).jpg
IMG_10082020_134920_(600_x_800_pixel).jpg (87.74 KiB) Viewed 6623 times
Kirby

tgss

#10 Post by tgss » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:07 pm

Ah Timemaster... I know exactly what you mean. But you have to be careful of those "short term options" that have a way of becoming "forever options"! :D
Tom W.

BramHuntingNematodes

#11 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:11 pm

That looks like a fantastic start there Kirby. I use almost exclusively hand tools to avoid the irritation of the fine dust (as well as the noise of power tools which causes me some psychic trauma), so I know what you mean! I hope you can finish though, since a well-made walnut cabinet is always gorgeous. We should start a slide trading club someday...
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

tgss

#12 Post by tgss » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:47 pm

Element 56 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:04 pm
A worthy project well worth the invested sum. I still don't own a 3D printer but seeing what you guys are doing with them has piqued my interest. I assume you have to create a program to print something like this? I'm not very computer savvy so that's probably my main hesitation.

Are those all your own mounts too? They also look very well made!
Kirby
Yes, the usual workflow is to design the parts, or assembly, using a CAD program. I mostly use Fusion 360 which is free for non commercial use. Ideally the CAD program should be capable of creating *.STL files (stereolithography files), so that you can create a file of that type for each part you want to print. The .STL file is processed by another application known as a slicer, which creates the Gcode file needed to drive the printer. Sounds complicated but like most such things it becomes pretty easy - you guessed it - once you know how!

Regarding the mounts: no, alas they are not by me, but I'm working on it and hope to be producing something similar, in the very broadest sense :lol: , sometime soon.

The drawer you show looks very nice indeed - I'll look forward to seeing pictures of the completed cabinet once you get back in the groove. By the way, is that a large vacuum table the drawer is sitting on? A 1200 slide cabinet will be a major undertaking, but I'm sure will be a beautiful thing once complete. I'm familiar with allergic reactions to wood dusts of various kinds as I have a friend, a wood turner, who has to wear an air supplied respirator now due to sensitivity to various exotic, and not so exotic, woods. I hope your improved dust collection system lets you avoid the need for that sort of protection. I had considered producing something in wood myself, but at my age decided life was too short, hence the plastic approach. Nowadays I try to stick to metal work if plastic won't do.
Tom W.

Timemaster1212

#13 Post by Timemaster1212 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:07 pm

BramHuntingNematodes wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:11 pm
. We should start a slide trading club someday...
I second this! Also, i wonder how much trouble it would be to build one out of wood and metal. Hmm....

Element 56

#14 Post by Element 56 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:18 pm

BramHuntingNematodes wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:11 pm
That looks like a fantastic start there Kirby. I use almost exclusively hand tools to avoid the irritation of the fine dust (as well as the noise of power tools which causes me some psychic trauma), so I know what you mean! I hope you can finish though, since a well-made walnut cabinet is always gorgeous. We should start a slide trading club someday...
Bram,

Thanks for the kind words. I am very much a fan of using hand tools and that is in fact almost always my first inclination. However, I have a 7" plate in my wrist that makes this difficult.

The Postal Microscopy Society used to mail slides around to members to view and comment on. Unfortunately I am not doing any permanent mounting or I would be happy to do something like that. I plan on getting into it down the road but I have so many projects going now that I can't give mounting the attention it deserves. I mostly collect Victorian specimens which is a lot of fun too, however, it's getting kind of costly!

Kirby

Element 56

#15 Post by Element 56 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:40 pm

[/quote]

Kirby
Yes, the usual workflow is to design the parts, or assembly, using a CAD program. I mostly use Fusion 360 which is free for non commercial use. Ideally the CAD program should be capable of creating *.STL files (stereolithography files), so that you can create a file of that type for each part you want to print. The .STL file is processed by another application known as a slicer, which creates the Gcode file needed to drive the printer. Sounds complicated but like most such things it becomes pretty easy - you guessed it - once you know how!

Regarding the mounts: no, alas they are not by me, but I'm working on it and hope to be producing something similar, in the very broadest sense :lol: , sometime soon.

The drawer you show looks very nice indeed - I'll look forward to seeing pictures of the completed cabinet once you get back in the groove. By the way, is that a large vacuum table the drawer is sitting on? A 1200 slide cabinet will be a major undertaking, but I'm sure will be a beautiful thing once complete. I'm familiar with allergic reactions to wood dusts of various kinds as I have a friend, a wood turner, who has to wear an air supplied respirator now due to sensitivity to various exotic, and not so exotic, woods. I hope your improved dust collection system lets you avoid the need for that sort of protection. I had considered producing something in wood myself, but at my age decided life was too short, hence the plastic approach. Nowadays I try to stick to metal work if plastic won't do.
Tom W.
[/quote]

Tom,

Thank you for the information on the printing software. Maybe if one turns up at a good price I will try my hand at it. We have three of them at work and I always just look on with wonder. I have helped with post printing finishes and lacquers but that's it the rest is a mystery to me.

Thank you for the kind words too! I will certainly share pics with the cabinet when I'm done!

I sympathize with your friend! I think working with wood or anything that creates dust will eventually take its toll on ones health. I wish I had taken respirators and dust collection more seriously years ago.

The table is indeed a Kinetic Systems Vibraplane vacuum table! I have a pump so I really should hook it up but it hasn't been a priority. For now it's a great workbench! If you can find one cheap I highly recommend it. Research college surplus auctions are great for that kind of thing. I have gotten a lot of equipment that way.

Best Regards,
Kirby

tgss

#16 Post by tgss » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:29 pm

Hi Kirby
Looks like a very high quality vacuum table - lucky you! Unfortunately I live a little bit out in the sticks, well... that's not really unfortunate at all, but it does mean the nearest colleges, universities, research establishments etc. are a long way away, so auctions such as these are normally not very accessible.

As a matter of interest, the 3D printer I use sells on Amazon.com for just over $200. So not such a steep entry level price. But if you have a number of interests, each with its own plethora of priority projects (I like the sound of that) then any amount can be too much, plus the biggest cost of all, the time to learn new stuff and put it to use.
Tom W.

Tray_hunter

#17 Post by Tray_hunter » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:29 pm

Greetings,

I was looking for a small storage cabinet and came across the world of microscope slide storage systems. The first cabinet I found was the Eberbach. It would be idea for my storage need but it’s over engineered for this use. I am looking for a very simple slide out tray system, low profile, to store little magnetic tiles with vocabulary words. The cabinet would ideally be positioned next a magnetic dry ease board to encourage language learning and creative sentence building. Having trays allows the tiles to be neatly sorted by English parts of speech.

I really like to idea of a 3-d printed version.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Greg Howald

#18 Post by Greg Howald » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:33 pm

There's lots of stuff out there and lots you can do but a normal slide box stood on end puts the slides in the horizontal face up position without any difficulty or fuss.
Greg