Opinions on listing

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Traleah

Opinions on listing

#1 Post by Traleah » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:43 am

I have started perusing eBay. Is this worth the price? I do see the seller set the objectives on the surface threaded side up instead of down. Hopefully, no scratching has occurred.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-Japan- ... SwOb5fKCPP

It looks like prices have jumped considerably since I was looking last week. I was searching for the Olympus BH2 when I noticed the listing above.

Thank you.

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: Opinions on listing

#2 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:03 am

yeah imma say a definite no unless for some reason you need gigantic photographic bellows and cant get them anywhere else
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Traleah

#3 Post by Traleah » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:06 am

Adding to my original post, here is a BH2. How modifiable is this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OLYMPUS-BH2-TR ... SwjiNfKxZj

I would like to do brightfield, dark field, and phase contrast. The price seems high considering some of the posts I’ve read here, but I’m just learning. I’d like LED light and a Kohler set up, too.

I’m just not sure what I should expect to find at this time.

Thanks.

Traleah

#4 Post by Traleah » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:09 am

BramHuntingNematodes wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:03 am
yeah imma say a definite no unless for some reason you need gigantic photographic bellows and cant get them anywhere else
LOL. Thank you.

BramHuntingNematodes

#5 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:09 am

also prices on ebay are wildly inconsistent none of these sellers know what they have none of them care much either I don't know what's going on exactly in the States right now but the volume of stuff is crazy high I have never seen anything like it cast a broad net wait a little while you'll probably be surprised
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Tom Jones

#6 Post by Tom Jones » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:49 pm

While lots of sellers are clueless, there are good ones too. Synchrostream has been around for a long time and is quite aware as to what they are selling. Not cheap, but I've bought from them before and been satisfied.

Notice too the 30 day return period. That's not something a dicey seller will usually give you.

And no, I'm not affiliated in any way.

As for your requirements: Yes that scope has Kohler. It will also do nice darkfield as well as phase contrast and even DIC with the proper parts. DIC though is expensive and hard to find. You don't need an LED light source, although you can get aftermarket ones if you insist. No reason to do that though as the bulbs are easy to find, 6v20w halogen, and~$5 each. They work just fine and have a nice lifetime. This one has very good, Plan objectives, and very nice, expensive PlanApos are available when/if you decide you want them. So are cheaper, student objectives. It also has the newer, high eye point eyepieces. I have two just like it, and five more with just the regular head, not a trinoc, that I use for outreach. I used BH-2's in a trauma center clinical lab for 20 years. I bough them for outreach because they are very sturdy microscopes, and with a lot of them out there, replacement parts are easy to find if you need them. Complete documentation is available on the internet from Alan Wood, as well as very complete lubrication/overhaul instructions, even with YouTube demos, from Carl Hunsinger.

Wes

#7 Post by Wes » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:04 pm

I wouldn't buy that microscope. It doesn't appear to be in a very good condition.
Traleah wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:43 am
I do see the seller set the objectives on the surface threaded side up instead of down.
Every time I see objectives resting on their front lens I cringe a bit and generally assume the seller is not particularly competent regarding microscope objectives.
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

Traleah

#8 Post by Traleah » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:15 pm

Thank you Tom, Bram, and Wes. I appreciate the input!

PeteM

#9 Post by PeteM » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:55 pm

Just to add to Tom's comments on the BH2 (all of which I agree with), unless you need the teaching arm and extra binocular head it's pretty expensive. Without those, you might expect to spend $300 less.

Traleah

#10 Post by Traleah » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:29 pm

Here is another from the same seller:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OLYMPUS-BH2-TR ... SwikhfOsw1

I did look at the other current listings, but the condition of those did not look as good and the objectives were not matched.

I will be posting a new topic on this subject (microscope hunting), too.

Thank you.

Element 56

#11 Post by Element 56 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:34 pm

Wes wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:04 pm
Every time I see objectives resting on their front lens I cringe a bit and generally assume the seller is not particularly competent regarding microscope objectives.
Agreed! I also see a lot of pictures of lenses taken in hand with the thumb covering the lens. Pictures of the back of the microscope in the box or taking close-up images so you really have no idea what they have. Buyer beware!

Traleah,
Use the advanced search and look at sold listings. It takes some digging but you should be able to get an idea of the price difference between auctions and fixed price sales. Take your time and eventually the right instrument at the right price will show up.

Good luck,
Kirby