Stentor Culturing Tips?

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
tabkiel

Stentor Culturing Tips?

#1 Post by tabkiel » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:10 pm

Hi people!

I don't really know where to put this, so I'll just post it here... anyone got tips for culturing Stentors?

I did find them once, in a water sample I took from a lake in a park, but looks like everything in that culture died :(

I might have accidentally left that culture in the sun for a few hours (7am ~ 9am-ish), so please let me know if that's something I shouldn't do.

I'd like to know what I should feed them. I've been feeding all my cultures with milk and crushed rice grains, as boiled hay water is not an option for me.

I linked some videos I took of my Stentors below, for identification's sake.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/czPgQjYyPsXe4a176

Thanks in advance,
~ Tenshi
This is my 'spirit', my 'intellect'. I am alive.

Wes

Re: Stentor Culturing Tips?

#2 Post by Wes » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:02 pm

PROTOCOL
Spirostomum, Stentor

1. Medium ingredients should be added in the sequence listed. If the name of a company is listed
with a specific component, the medium component should be obtained from the company to
assure growth.

2. Medium formulation:

Soil/H20 Biphasic Medium [1]
Rich Organic Soil (Air-dried) .......... 125.0 g
Glass distilled H20 ...................... 875.0 ml

3. Place soil in the bottom of a flask and gently overlay with the glass distilled H20, etc.

4. Autoclave at 121 0 C for 15 min. Allow to cool overnight.

5. Repeat step 4.

6. In advance place wheat kernels in a 20 x 125 mm screw-capped test tube to a depth of
approximately 5 cm. Add a few drops of glass distilled H20 and with the cap loosened one half
turn, autoclave for 30 min at 121˚ C. Place the tube in a 70˚ C incubator overnight to remove
any moisture. Allow the tube to cool to room temperature, screw the cap on tight and store
refrigerated (5-9˚ C) until needed. Wheat kernels may be obtained from a grocery store.

7. Allow the flask prepared in step 5 to cool, swirl vigorously and transfer 200 ml to an 11 cm
diameter biological finger bowl. Add one autoclaved wheat kernel.

8. Inoculate 1 ml of a growing culture into medium prepared in step 7

9. Place another empty finger bowl on top of the culture to reduce moisture loss and incubate at
25° C.

10.Repeat steps 8-10 at monthly intervals.

9. Place another empty finger bowl on top of the culture to reduce moisture loss and incubate at
25° C.

Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

tabkiel

#3 Post by tabkiel » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:20 pm

Wes wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:02 pm
PROTOCOL
Spirostomum, Stentor

1. Medium ingredients should be added in the sequence listed. If the name of a company is listed
with a specific component, the medium component should be obtained from the company to
assure growth.

2. Medium formulation:

Soil/H20 Biphasic Medium [1]
Rich Organic Soil (Air-dried) .......... 125.0 g
Glass distilled H20 ...................... 875.0 ml

3. Place soil in the bottom of a flask and gently overlay with the glass distilled H20, etc.

4. Autoclave at 121 0 C for 15 min. Allow to cool overnight.

5. Repeat step 4.

6. In advance place wheat kernels in a 20 x 125 mm screw-capped test tube to a depth of
approximately 5 cm. Add a few drops of glass distilled H20 and with the cap loosened one half
turn, autoclave for 30 min at 121˚ C. Place the tube in a 70˚ C incubator overnight to remove
any moisture. Allow the tube to cool to room temperature, screw the cap on tight and store
refrigerated (5-9˚ C) until needed. Wheat kernels may be obtained from a grocery store.

7. Allow the flask prepared in step 5 to cool, swirl vigorously and transfer 200 ml to an 11 cm
diameter biological finger bowl. Add one autoclaved wheat kernel.

8. Inoculate 1 ml of a growing culture into medium prepared in step 7

25° C.

25° C.

Thanks for the recipe! Just a question, wouldn't the distilled H2O kill the Stentors due to osmosis? Or maybe I'm missing something...

~ Tenshi
This is my 'spirit', my 'intellect'. I am alive.

Wes

#4 Post by Wes » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:23 pm

I suppose salts from the soil would counteract that.

Btw the recipe comes from the book posted in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7944
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

Chris Dee

#5 Post by Chris Dee » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:23 pm

My critter tank is full of them. Nothing more than lake mud with some root mass, rocks, pond weed, and lake water all collected from weedy margins. Fed with a pinch of fish food once a week. A large wide-mouth jar should suffice. No direct sunlight.
IMG_4818.jpg
IMG_4818.jpg (156.39 KiB) Viewed 2450 times