Cleaning mirrors in objectives of AO 570 stereoscope

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
paleome

Cleaning mirrors in objectives of AO 570 stereoscope

#1 Post by paleome » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:38 pm

I have already tried distilled water and eyeglass lens cleaner with real brand Q-tips. All but two of them clean up nicely. What is safe to use on the other two? They have spots on them as if from a spill (unknown).

If Apochronaut or Scarodactyl respond to this post, please read further replies to my previous post on this subforum.

Element 56

Re: Cleaning mirrors in objectives of AO 570 stereoscope

#2 Post by Element 56 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:24 pm

If an aqueous cleaner does not work you may want to carefully try a solvent. I don't know what's immediately available to you but you could try 99% ISO, Acetone, a Acetone 60% / Methanol 40% mixture etc.. I like hexane but it's probably not worth buying just for this. Keep in mind that solvents can potentially loosen the adhesive on the swab further contaminating the optic so don't over saturate and use the swab immediately.

Hopefully it's not fungus that etched into the glass. Also I don't know if it's a single lens or a doublet that you're working on but delamination can look like a "spill" as you mentioned.

Good luck!

Kirby

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:43 pm

One time I ran into a head which had some weird, hardened brown grease on some of the prisms (with fingerprints in). Alchohol wouldn't touch it. I had to resort to very careful application of acetone which did the trick, but I suspect if you used that in an AO head the mirrors would have a good chance of falling out entirely from the glue failing, maybe even from fumes.
You might want to try posting a picture of the mirrors.

paleome

#4 Post by paleome » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:02 am

Actually, am I incorrect in calling them mirrors? Are they prisms? Anyway, I was able to get all the brown and hazy, smudging out of ALL of the mirrors. The last two look like dried out water spots, though they are obviously not from water.

I was able to locate a local outlet for various concentrations of isopropyl alcohol. I have acetone, but using that can be tricky.

paleome

#5 Post by paleome » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:05 am

How do you attach photos to a post on this forum?

Scarodactyl

#6 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:21 am

If that's the case, I would first put it back together and see if it actually has a significant effect on the image through the eyepieces.

paleome

#7 Post by paleome » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:26 am

Great idea! I seem to remember being able to see through those spots. I just found out how to attach photos to a post here. I will try everything. Give me a little time, though. Its dinner preparation time. Thank you, Scarodactyl and Element 56! Deb

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:35 am

If the spots you are referring to are similar to certain ones I have run across , then I don't think they will come off. Those I am familiar with are usually roundish and a dull silver colour, maybe 1/8" and usually towards the edge. I think it is oxidation of the first surface coating, reducing reflectivity in that area but I don't recall them causing that much of a problem in the image.
Of course if there were a lot of them or they were very large, the effect might be different.

paleome

#9 Post by paleome » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:31 am

I just saved a draft of a reply, but I can'tell bring it up to send it to you. What gives?

paleome

#10 Post by paleome » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:40 am

Anyway, these spots look like what you get when you breathe on a mirror on a freezing day, just before it evaporates. Sort of like a very fine fog or mist. They are not any particular color.

I have not been able to try ISO yet. Have to pick some up tomorrow. Would you also recommend 90%? I have acetone, but haven't tried it yet. Don't know if I am speedy enough. Can you recommend anything else?

paleome

#11 Post by paleome » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:45 am

If there is no helpful solvent and the spots make a huge difference in the image, can these two mirrors be replaced? Somehow, I have a feeling these won't really affect the image that much. Let's see what tomorrow brings, and by then I will have tested things out. Thank you, Apochronaut and all others.

paleome

#12 Post by paleome » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:50 am

Another description: they resemble dried up water spots on a crystal clear drinking glass. Would it be safe to try cleaning with a vinegar solution, like one would with mineralizations (which they also resemble) ?

apochronaut

#13 Post by apochronaut » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:50 am

The mirrors could be replaced but it is a lot of fuss and the results entirely dependent on that fuss being executed with perfection. A perfect fuss is better than no fuss but no fuss is better than an imperfect fuss. I don't know who said that but whoever said it, they were half asleep. That's why I understand it so well.
Be carefull fussing over the mirrors. The surface is quite soft and the more you fuss the more you will risk scratching them. Putting up with a few spots, as long as they don't really impact your imaging that much is much more preferable to putting up with.............COLLIMATION. The dreaded collimation. You don't want to have to do that with replaced mirrors.

Hobbyst46

#14 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:44 pm

From the description of the spots/staining, neither any solvent nor vinegar will help. Maybe just breathing on them to form a fog, then a quick bare touch with a thin Q-tip, will show if it is external or the coating is damaged. As others mention, the coating is liable to come off.

paleome

#15 Post by paleome » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:02 am

I am going to take the cautious path. Neither ISO 99 nor white vinegar would touch these spots, so I am going to put everything back together and test the image out. I don't expect it will be bad, but we shall see.

Thank you, everyone, plus Hobbyist 46, for all of your helpful input. Have a good evening, and stay healthy!

paleome

#16 Post by paleome » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:34 am

Good news! Whatever is on a few of my mirrors doesn't seem to affect the image at all. I'm satisfied. At least, I was able to get rid of all of that dark brown stuff, and things look nice and clear now. Thank you again, Apochronaut, Scarodactyl, Element 56, and Hobbyist 46! You all really helped me through this valuable learning experience. And, I have lots of supplies now to clean my other scopes with. Take care, Deb

Hobbyst46

#17 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:44 am

Enjoy ! AO 570 stereos are excellent. The 0.7-4.2X range is very useful.

Element 56

#18 Post by Element 56 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:18 pm

I'm glade you got everything worked out. Enjoy it!
Kirby