Olumpus IMT-2 - any info?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
mrsonchus

Olumpus IMT-2 - any info?

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:58 pm

Hi all, in a moment of delirium I considered then bought an Olympus IMT-2 - yes, I know - I 'don't do pond-water'.... :o

It just looked very nice and I wonder if anyone may give me a little background knowledge and maybe a little info re what it's good for, as I really would like to simply explore it's capabilities and uses.

It seems also to be fitted with NIC (condenser is NIC/PHASE CONTRAST LWDNC 0.55 with the analyser/polariser slider that slides into the head to complete the setup)

I'd like to use it for phase contrast perhaps - maybe even take a look at some algae.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Upon perusing Alan Wood's excellent website it appears to be the IMT-2-31 model - it's all new to me - un upside-down microscope indeed! :D
John B

PeteM

Re: Olumpus IMT-2 - any info?

#2 Post by PeteM » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:04 pm

John, I owned the predecessor IMT version and thought it very well made scope. It was just too massive (as you've likely discovered) for me to easily cart to kids' science events.

The phase contrast was excellent and if you don't already have that, it likely justifies the addition.

If you start viewing specimens in water, there's another reason to keep it.

But while it's an excellent scope, not sure it adds much for you in viewing prepared slides in normal brightfield. Due to the LWD objectives you lose a tiny bit of numerical aperture. If you can get the DIC prisms (should be cheaper than for your BX?) that might change.

Seems 20-50% lf the world's oxygen comes from land-based plants and trees -- where you are already a grand master of microscopy. The estimate is that 50-80% of our oxygen comes from the oceans and water (algae, diatoms, etc.). So, you could master that as well??

Great scope, in any case.

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:20 pm

Hi Pete, what will I need to have a go using NIC with for example cyanobacteria on the bottom of a petri-dish or similar? What parts does the 'scope need for this, is has NIC things inside the condeser, as well as phase, and the slider that goes into the nosepiece - I'm not sure what goes where though and what it is missing for the NIC and phase capabilities - this is going to be an interesting experience for sure.

I'm expecting problems and shortcomings but will simply take as long as I need to bring the spec' up to fully operational - the BX50 is purring like a kitten these days, giving me stunning brightfield, expecially with the addition recently of a 20x PlanApochromat ).70 - it's still a novelty for me to have a 20x at 0.70 and the 40x at a slightly lower 0,65 (until I find a nice PlanApo 40x 0.85 that is...).

Then, dare I say these words, there's always the pond/ditch/birdbath etc world to poke at....

Still, I'll take it as it comes, it's not my area but it is just such a nice and interesting-looking 'scope darn-it! :oops:
John B

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:36 am

Hi John, I'm not entirely sure what you'll need. Does the existing condenser have any prisms in it? Are your current objectives brightfield (probably OK for DIC) or phase (probably not OK for DIC).

Here's one kit, showing the slider. This is an expensive source, trying to cover its overheads; but were it DIC for something like a BH2 it would be 2x the asking price.

https://www.spachoptics.com/OLYMPUS-IMT ... t2-dic.htm

The brochure, which you've likely seen, will have more pictures of the DIC setup: http://www.alanwood.net/downloads/olymp ... ochure.pdf

mrsonchus

#5 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:54 am

Hi Pete, yes that's the one, and as far as I know the prisms (both NIC and phase) are all there, as is the slider/analyser. It'll probably take a couple of weeks to get to me, but in the meantime I'll haver a think about how to proceed when the monster arrives...

All and any info greafully received.
John B