Helminths..still hunting answers the old fashioned way.

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
lacain99

Helminths..still hunting answers the old fashioned way.

#1 Post by lacain99 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:36 pm

Does anyone recognize these things? Picture taken with an amateur microscope camera. May be around 1/8th inch. Terribly difficult to find matches on internet. Grow to some 2 to 3 inches long plus. Apparently I'm hosting a wild kingdom of...things. Oddly terrifying enough, I can find a macroscopic match of the one from the Hubble telescope..nebula. Hence understanding morphology is one thing but DNA identification tells all as I have learned oh so well in my newbie amateur microscope hunter status.
Attachments
Unidentified giving birth?
Unidentified giving birth?
2020-07-19_20-56-05-72.jpg (23.8 KiB) Viewed 3110 times
Unidentified.
Unidentified.
2020-07-18_17-04-39-27.jpg (14.35 KiB) Viewed 3112 times
Horse head nebula.
Horse head nebula.
Screenshot_20200905-222605.png (373.62 KiB) Viewed 3115 times
Unidentified.
Unidentified.
2020-07-25_11-19-27-55.jpg (29.63 KiB) Viewed 3115 times

tabkiel

Re: Helminths..still hunting answers the old fashioned way.

#2 Post by tabkiel » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:41 am

HI there!

I'm still fairly new to the hobby so don't expect any precise answers from me but, can you give me a little more context? Things like, where did you find this, was it moving, how it moved, what it resembled (and you can be vague here. Saying it looks like a larva already narrows things down A LOT.) Also was it under water or did you find this in soil or maybe somewhere else? Also, you might want to ask this kind of stuff in Identification Help. Just a tip! :D

~ Tenshi
This is my 'spirit', my 'intellect'. I am alive.

lacain99

#3 Post by lacain99 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:19 am

Well, 🙄 except for the nebula the unknowns are helminths that came out of me. 😬 The thing that is shaped like a gun came out of my nose when I blew my nose one day. It just looked like a speck of blood in mucous is but I decided to put it under the microscope camera anyway. Turned out to be a microscopic monster much to my horror. The other two snake-ish things are helminths of some sort of well. I thought they were schistosoma or tapeworm larvae but after looking at hundreds of pictures on the internet I find similarities between them all yet differences that leave me unconvinced. I forgot which body part they came from. Eyes, ears, nose maybe skin. I have a few sores I get to heal only then they migrate. I'm not one to sift through stool but I do have incredible pictures after taking ivermectin, praziquintal and fiber supplements. They start out microscopic but can grow to a few inches, at least here on Earth. After a year of research and analysis I've started to wonder if they came in asteroids. Nothing kills the eggs except blow torch high heat. Only if it were inside of an asteroid they wouldn't necessarily burn up upon entering the atmosphere. Just a theory.

tabkiel

#4 Post by tabkiel » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:26 am

Hi!

Sorry about the vague questions in my last response, I didn't know what helminths were ^_^;

However, I did come across this term, Acanthocephala, which are a phylum of worms called thorny headed worms. The "thorns" are hardly visible through the naked eye or even a camera such as the one you use, but I do think they look like what you found! Some are parasitic, so you might want to take a look at it.

Hope this helps,

~ Tenshi
This is my 'spirit', my 'intellect'. I am alive.

Roldorf

#5 Post by Roldorf » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:34 pm

Horror of horror's, it's bad enough seeing your finger ends when looking at rocks under the stereo scope. My advise is not to look in great depth at anything that comes from your person. :lol: :lol:

Unknown Brand: Optika SFX 91: Bresser Science Infinity: Canon 4000d
ImageImage

lacain99

#6 Post by lacain99 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:14 am

Thank you, Tenshi and N. Germany! I'll look at treatments for acanthocephala. And yes, the horrors within can be just as awful as any. A horror is a horror yet by any name it's still...😬😖😳. Now I must drive the thorny things out...by any anthelmintic necessary.

eward1897

#7 Post by eward1897 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:17 am

I don't know anything specific about your possible "worm" but be careful not to talk yourself into something that isn't real. Parasitic worms often have segments or bristles or distinctive mouthparts. A high level of expertise and experience is needed to identify parasites accurately. The pictures so far look worm shaped but may be just mucous in elongated shapes. Acanthocephala are very rare as human parasites, and would not be in your nose.

It is understandable to worry if you start thinking about parasitic worms freeloading inside your body making you sick. I don't know where you live. Bad worm infestations occur in the developing world a lot (about a billion people carry Ascaris or related worms transmitted from people pooping in the open), but such parasites are quite rare in Europe or USA where we have indoor plumbing. In those places it is more common for a person to become wrongly convinced they have harmful worms than to actually have them. The diagnosis is called "delusional parasitism".

Be aware that there are lots of websites giving advice or selling something for parasitic worms. They maybe sincere (but misguided) or just preying on you to make money.

Sorry the world is the way it is sometimes...

Ed in Minnesota, USA
(too damn cold for parasites here, but I have acquired a number of interesting slides including the following showing the scary attachment hooks of a rabbit tapeworm)
2016-2-9 rabbit tapeworm scolex, J Bourgogne (3) nice oblique enhanced.jpg
2016-2-9 rabbit tapeworm scolex, J Bourgogne (3) nice oblique enhanced.jpg (196.92 KiB) Viewed 2995 times

lacain99

#8 Post by lacain99 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:30 pm

Ed in minnesota. This one more picture should convince you. I don't need to be an expert to know this is a parasitic worm colony species and that diphenhydramine and praziquintal work wonders to purge parasites. It would be nice to know what they are but it's satisfying enough to know that they're out. Purged. This wasn't from my lungs. That's all I'm going to say.
Attachments
original_9c89d2ed-b165-4c05-9ce5-416b9e622c82_20200919_021043.jpg
original_9c89d2ed-b165-4c05-9ce5-416b9e622c82_20200919_021043.jpg (43.42 KiB) Viewed 2961 times