Displaying my images on YouTube

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Maryfox

Displaying my images on YouTube

#1 Post by Maryfox » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:40 pm

I have posted some of my favorite images on a YouTube channel. They are all short with no narration or annoying music.

I will appreciate your comments and/or questions.

Images are on screen for 5 – 7 seconds. Too long? Too short? Improvements?
Mary's Microscope https://youtube.com/channel/UC-BSLjwNLdEjLdE6cAg27zw

Mary

Tom Jones

Re: Displaying my images on YouTube

#2 Post by Tom Jones » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:08 pm

Actually, unless you are trying to demonstrate how a deaf person would view your slideshow 8-) , some kind of music or background sound is better.

A slide show without sound or narration is like handing friends a series of printed still image without comment. :twisted: You probably wouldn't do it.

Even when there is narration, some background sound is helpful to fill the "space" left by the visual-only experience, and provide a little mental continuity between images. It shouldn't be loud, but there should be at least some sort of ambient sound in the background to keep the audio-expecting part of your brain engaged :o . It helps the mental flow of the images or video.

Also, a little bit of zooming or panning the images helps when doing a slide show. YouTube is a video platform, and people expect to see at least a little movement in videos :roll: . I'd argue that carefully done, it helps direct your viewer's attention to the part of the image you want them to focus upon, too.

Think about everything you see on TV or in internet videos. Virtually all of them, and certainly all of the good ones, have some sort of audio component :D . If something pops up without an audio track the first thing that comes to mind is "where's the sound?" You start looking to see if you've accidentally turned the sound off! :oops:

Admittedly, adding a decent audio track or narration can be a pain. I've spent way too much time trying to find appropriate, copyright-free music or ambient sound, and cut it to match. But I'm pretty sure the end result was well worth it.

Everything you see has an audio component, even if it's only background noise. Your videos should as well. Your brain will thank you for it! ;)

DonSchaeffer

#3 Post by DonSchaeffer » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:08 pm

I think the presentation looks a little dry and academic. The images are nice but without drama or something to give them continuity it's hard to get to the end. I love the introductory slide--very slick.

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:44 pm

I have no problem with the lack of sound - but if it is likes you are after, then you have to give people what they want

Nice images!
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Rapidray

#5 Post by Rapidray » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:47 am

I don’t have a problem with no sound either.
OMAX M83

janvangastel

#6 Post by janvangastel » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:55 am

Most of the time I turn of the music, so no problem with 'no sound'.

Maryfox

#7 Post by Maryfox » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:32 pm

Thanks for all your comments. As to audio, when I come upon a video with only music, I always mute it. In searching for music for other videos, I've been frustrated looking for free audio clips that I actually like. I purposely make the vids short so I did not think audio necessary, but I agree that some would be nice. I will make another stab at finding audio - I'd like to find some mellow guitar that I don't have to pay for.
I made this channel mostly for family and friends. It is not meant to entertain; just to display (show off) images I like.
I know that most of you are microbe hunters, not crystal hunters so I truly appreciate you taking the time to comment.
Mary

Hobbyst46

#8 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:03 pm

Maryfox wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:40 pm
I have posted some of my favorite images on a YouTube channel. They are all short with no narration or annoying music.

I will appreciate your comments and/or questions.

Images are on screen for 5 – 7 seconds. Too long? Too short? Improvements?
Mary's Microscope https://youtube.com/channel/UC-BSLjwNLdEjLdE6cAg27zw

Mary
Presentations III and IV are very nice !
IMHO:
1. Music could be added but not essential at all
2. Display duration should be longer than 5-7 seconds. Say, somewhere within 10-15 seconds
3. I would enhance the contrast somewhat in post processing.

Javier

#9 Post by Javier » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:08 pm

Mary,

I enjoyed your images. I'm a beginner to microscopy, but I found your work very interesting. I think though, that there are better-suited platforms than YouTube to display images. I would like to explore your images in the best possible resolution, and that isn't possible in a video format. I don't care about the music either, but I would like a brief description of the materials, process, and technique used. That is, of course, just a personal preference.

Keep the good stuff coming!

Voyager-1

#10 Post by Voyager-1 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:34 am

Maryfox,
Excellent pictures! Following you on YouTube , Joining up with the Crystal Art Photography.... on FB.
Hope you and yours are staying healthy and safe.
Just to let you know, in all my years never heard a microscope have music coming out of it while viewing!
Will have to post some crystal pics soon.
See you around the micro world!

V

DonSchaeffer

#11 Post by DonSchaeffer » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:57 pm

It's art. I like it. I wish it were a little more accessible without fuss.

Sure Squintsalot

#12 Post by Sure Squintsalot » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:43 pm

I don't understand why a forum post linking to a video doesn't show the video directly in the post. Instructions for how to do this are pretty clear:
SuiGenerisBrewing wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:59 pm
You need to upload it to a video hosting service first, youtube being a good and free choice (if you only want to share here, set your video to "unlisted" on youtube - that way only people you share the link with can access it). To add the video here, you can simply post the link, or you can do a full embed.

To embed:
Step 1:
On the "post" page click the "youtube" button. This will create text that says [youtube][/youtube]

Step 2:
Go to the youtube video you want to embed and look at its web address (URL). It'll look something like

Code: Select all

www.youtube.com/watch?v=<video ID>&<additional information>
For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O3uVFozSog&ab_channel=JourneytotheMicrocosmos
The important part is the video ID, which in the above link is the "5O3uVFozSog"

Step 3:
Copy the video ID between the [youtube][/youtube], e.g.

[youtube]5O3uVFozSog[/youtube]
Giving you:
Just seems like the polite thing to do....