Acquiring fluorescent stains/dyes

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
mfemia

Acquiring fluorescent stains/dyes

#1 Post by mfemia » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:16 pm

I've had my eye on a nice epi-fluorscent scope that comes with several cubes, but want to be sure I can acquire the necessary reagents to make it worthwhile.

Does anyone have experience acquiring fluorescent stains or dyes?

Even acquiring something as popular as DAPI seems difficult without being attached to an accredited lab anymore ...or at least I haven't found a vendor (I'm based in the US). Ultimately, I'd be happy just being able to label whole organelles (nucleus, cytoplasm, membrane etc).

Thanks!

lightshape

Re: Acquiring fluorescent stains/dyes

#2 Post by lightshape » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:24 pm

For some fun, you could try to start with:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Fluorescent-Dye ... xy1klRdope

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:12 am

Looks like a great link - but sadly no shipping to the US.

MicroBob

#4 Post by MicroBob » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:57 am

You might have a look for one of these more common stains:

Acridingelb
Acridinorange
Rhodamin-B

Primulin gelb
4-Methyläsculetin
Aesculin
Euflavin
Quercetin
Chininsulfat

The first 3 can be used to stain specific plant structures, the others may be little specific.

Professional fluorescence stains can be extremely expensive, gramm price like gold or even more.

Bob

Greg Howald

#5 Post by Greg Howald » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:15 am

Available at Fisher Science. Also may be available at Wards Science, but haven't seen it there. At Fisher can be ordered on line. Don't forget your wallet!
Greg

mfemia

#6 Post by mfemia » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:26 pm

lightshape -- Thanks for the link! Unfortunately like PeteM said, I can't find a US version to ship to myself. I'll keep an eye out.

Bob -- This is an excellent list. And I agree, I used to work with vendors in a commercial setting and know stains can be extremely expensive. I mentioned DAPI specifically because I remember it would both last an unusually long time across all my labs and was inexpensive relative to most antibody/protein-conjugated dyes :D
Greg Howald wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:15 am
Available at Fisher Science. Also may be available at Wards Science, but haven't seen it there. At Fisher can be ordered on line. Don't forget your wallet!
Greg
Greg -- Thanks for the recs! Ward's Science seems like it could be an all around great resource. But I was under the impression that Fisher would reject any non-commercial orders, no matter what you're ordering (since I imagine it's a risk on their end with some bad actors out in the world). If you have experience ordering stains from them I'd be interested. Regardless, ward's has some great kits and individual resources which will be helpful for maintaining a hobby environment.

If any others find this post later on -- I'll be actively researching this for a while before approaching the private seller with my scope of interest and would be happy to hear of other any other options that have been found.