Zeiss DIC question

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
IanW

Zeiss DIC question

#1 Post by IanW » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:55 pm

I have managed to acquire all parts needed for the later infinite DIC set up (sliders for each objective).

My question is: do the intermediate holders (for sliders) need orienting for each objective? I ask since I have been able to get good DIC for the 40X objective, but not with my 16X or 100X. Then I had a move around of parts and found that I could get excellent DIC for 16X but not 40X - which is driving me a little insane.

Any suggestions very welcome thanks.
Zeiss Jena NF, Zeiss Standard 18 and WL

75RR

Re: Zeiss DIC question

#2 Post by 75RR » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:32 pm

I have managed to acquire all parts needed for the later infinite DIC set up (sliders for each objective).
Sorry, is that finite or infinity?

If finite here are instructions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p6bki2x8iz1z5 ... V.pdf?dl=0

This is the relevant page from that link:
Attachments
Zeiss DIC fitting.jpg
Zeiss DIC fitting.jpg (173.47 KiB) Viewed 2456 times
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:46 am

Hi Ian,
75RRs post shows that aligning the seats is the first step. With the old Zeiss DIC full compatibility was limited not only to certain objective types but also to certain production times/serial number ranges. This might be the case with the newer finity DIC system and it's objective sliders too.

Bob

IanW

#4 Post by IanW » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:43 pm

Thank you both for the replies.

Firstly, my error. My system is the final 'Finite' system, not infinity. And yes, I can now see that in fact only one of my objectives is properly aligned (NE-SW), which accounts for why the others are not working. So thank you for the link to the document 75RR. I knew I'd read something about this a while back but had put it to the back of my mind, and instead begun panicking that I could get DIC working one minute and then not the next as I was trying out different configurations. What a mess!

I'll start at the beginning again.

IanW

#5 Post by IanW » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:02 pm

I have finally got round to trying to align my DIC turrets, and one of my biggest fears occurred!

Firstly, the screws are tiny and my eyesight dreadful. I had to totally remove screws before any turning was possible. I expected the opening part to move, but no, it remains stationary. The upper part moves, so that the opening becomes gradually closed - which is no use when it comes to realigning at all. Then the two parts separated - and the dreaded springs went flying. So I now have a slightly bent spring pin, which I have no idea about or where it goes. If anyone can assist, please can you do so.

Photo below (will try to get it attached). Thanks

[media]https://ibb.co/s9XFTxM[/media]

IanW

#6 Post by IanW » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:16 pm

Just to update...I think I've solved the problem. I hadn't ought to have fully unscrewed the parts - found how the spring engages too. I'm not good with fiddly parts.

75RR

#7 Post by 75RR » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:45 pm

Glad you sorted it out. Let us know how it goes.
Attachments
slider holder open.jpg
slider holder open.jpg (81.49 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

IanW

#8 Post by IanW » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:48 pm

Thanks 75RR...

It's painstaking work, but I think I'm getting there. I have very good DIC at 40X, but 16X lacks the contrast at moment, so I might need better alignment. I haven't even attempted 100X as I dislike using oil.

I might need to find some replacement screws as they thread very easily (using my cheap screwdriver).