How to check if condenser is aligned?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Raul

How to check if condenser is aligned?

#1 Post by Raul » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:20 pm

I was wondering these days if my condenser is not aligned, so I did some research on the internet and nothing. Nothing for light microscopy, so I ask you fellow members.
How to check/with what/ if the condenser is aligned?
Also I do not have a field diaphragm.

Regards,
Raul

zzffnn

Re: How to check if condenser is aligned?

#2 Post by zzffnn » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:46 pm

Does your scope have condenser centering mechanisms? Some scopes don't and their condensers are usually aligned as they are, unless the scope has been abused.

Sometimes, if you close down condenser iris and if it is badly aligned, you can see the iris being off center, once you look into objective rear lens (remove eyepiece and look into eye tube).

Raul

#3 Post by Raul » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:52 pm

Yes it has, a made a drawing (Fig 1)some time ago of it, sorry that I do not have pictures for the moment.
Also it seems that when fully closed the iris diaphragm is off center (Fig 2).
The condenser is an Abbe 1.2 NA

If I center the condenser using the light bulb (the illumination source) would that be alright?
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (221.03 KiB) Viewed 3725 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (298.42 KiB) Viewed 3725 times

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:30 am

That iris closure looks fine to me. But you need to check the iris image on your scope. Turn on ligh source, remove eyepiece and look into eye tube.

Sorry, I don't use a bulb (I used diffused LED), so I cannot help there. I dont know if you can center condenser with light bulb - never heard it that way.

Raul

#5 Post by Raul » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:48 am

I have the same a LED with a diffused lens on top, but I can remove it an see the LED (light bulb).
What if I made a temporary mark on the diffused lens, in the middle and I align the condenser with that, would that work?
Attachments
CM151110-22302196.jpg
CM151110-22302196.jpg (213.56 KiB) Viewed 3705 times

Raul

#6 Post by Raul » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:11 pm

It worked, I made a mark on the diffused lens, aligned the condenser with that, the iris closure was not on the center when looking through the eyepiece, but when the eyepiece was removed and I looked through the tube I saw that the iris closure was in the middle aligned.
zzffnn wrote:That iris closure looks fine to me. But you need to check the iris image on your scope. Turn on ligh source, remove eyepiece and look into eye tube.

Sorry, I don't use a bulb (I used diffused LED), so I cannot help there. I dont know if you can center condenser with light bulb - never heard it that way.
Thank you zzffnn for your help.

Regards,
Raul