How to attach camera to Olympus BH2?

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
cooperplace

How to attach camera to Olympus BH2?

#1 Post by cooperplace » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:02 am

I've inherited a BH2 with a trinoc head. The trinoc head has an Olympus part U-PMTVC on it, which has a c-mount. There's an objective in it, marked
"NFK 3.3xL
125"

I'd like to take still color photos with this microscope. Is there a quick, easy way I can attach a 35mm digital camera body to this?
thanks

MichaelG.

Re: How to attach camera to Olympus BH2?

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:09 am

Alan Wood has all the information you are likely to need
... This is a good 'landing page'
http://alanwood.net/photography/olympus ... scope.html

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

cooperplace

#3 Post by cooperplace » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:06 am

thanks, yes I saw that. It doesn't answer the question: can a c-mount be used to satisfactorily attach a 35mm camera?

MichaelG.

#4 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:20 pm

cooperplace wrote:thanks, yes I saw that. It doesn't answer the question: can a c-mount be used to satisfactorily attach a 35mm camera?
A c-mount does not have the clear aperture to cover a 35mm frame, and its flange to image plane distance is shorter than of many 35mm cameras.
... So the short answer would be NO
[ depending, I suppose, on your definition of 'satifactorily attach' ]

A micro 4/3 camera would be a much more realistic proposition.

MichaelG.
P.S. What 35mm camera are you planning to use ?
Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

#5 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:25 pm

cooperplace wrote: There's an objective in it, marked
"NFK 3.3xL
125"
No, that's a projection eyepiece not an objective
... May I suggest that you look again at Alan Wood's site.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Tom Jones

#6 Post by Tom Jones » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:39 pm

I use that very setup to project, essentially direct project as the NFK 3.3x and 0.3x lens in the U-PMTVC essentially cancel magnifications, onto the sensor of my Panasonic GH4 for 4K video. Since the GH4 is mirrorless, a C-mount adapter fits fine, and I get the necessary final corrections in the NFK eyepiece.

That is what I used to shoot this on a BHS: https://www.nikonsmallworld.com/galleri ... er-feeding

I used the same setup on a SZH stereo to shoot this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMNHuab9hKE

Mirrored cameras will need an Olympus Photomicro Adapter L, an easier to find Diagnostic Instruments PA1-10A, or another adapter of the same length and T-mount, along with a projection lens. Full frame takes an NFK 2.5x projection eyepiece, and APS-C sensors take the very pricey NFK 1.67x for optimal coverage. There are other adapters available, both with and without internal lenses that you can use to adapt the projection dimensions to your sensor. Understand each resolution on each sensor may have different dimensions. On my GH4 4K UHD and 4K DCI use different dimensions on the sensor. Look in your user guide to see the effects of different resolutions on the pixel dimensions used.

Tom

Scarodactyl

#7 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:01 pm

If you don't mind the look this is a very cheap and effective solution: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7329
You'd want to get an nfk 2.5x eventually for full frame, but the 3.3 you already have would probably be just fine for the mean time it would just produce some cropping.

georgetmacro

#8 Post by georgetmacro » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:44 am

I have an Olympus CH with a BH-2 trinocular head. I have made a mount for Nikon F ( I use microscopy dedicated Nikon D200) but was not satisfied with it so have ordered one from an Ebay supplier in America, (newhopper (4872)). His price was US$59 with a 'make an offer' option. I got mine ordered for US$47 plus US$21 postage and ~US$12 customs. The total was AU$116. I thought this was OK because the supplier makes them up to suit the parfocal arrangement of the microscope. Although mine is probably not quite right given that it is a hybrid CH/BH-2.

DennyNY

#9 Post by DennyNY » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:44 pm

Tom Jones wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:39 pm
I use that very setup to project, essentially direct project as the NFK 3.3x and 0.3x lens in the U-PMTVC essentially cancel magnifications, onto the sensor of my Panasonic GH4 for 4K video. Since the GH4 is mirrorless, a C-mount adapter fits fine, and I get the necessary final corrections in the NFK eyepiece.
Hi Tom.
Is this setup parfocal?
I got old Lumix g3, looks like the same sensor size
I want to replicate yours setup.
Thank you.

Tom Jones

#10 Post by Tom Jones » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:48 pm

It can be. The U-PMTVC has screw threads that will allow you to adjust it's length a bit to make it parfocal. Adjust focus in the right eyepiece, match it with the left, then adjust the U-PMTVC (screw it in or out) until the camera focus matches what you see in the eyepieces. I use a -H focusing eyepiece on the right side to fine-tune it.

Tom