I bought a set.

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
Greg Howald

I bought a set.

#1 Post by Greg Howald » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:11 pm

I bought a set of 50 prepared slides through Amazon under the name Mono Med. I found these slides to be absolutely worry free.
You don't have to worry about how fragile they are. Two of them were broken when I opened the box.
You don't have to clean them. The got the dirt built right in.
You don't have to protect the quality of the specimens cause there ain't any.
If you want to have prepared slides buy them from a reputable company.
Greg

mrsonchus

Re: I bought a set.

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:44 pm

Hmm, sorry to hear that, good ones are a bit scarce it seems.
I have hundreds of Botanical permanent slides that I could sell a set from, but I doubt if I could match the cost of the cheapest ones I'm afraid.
John B

TonyT

#3 Post by TonyT » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:34 pm

It is relatively simple to make your own permanent slides if you do not want sectioned-material. Just have to select something small enough to fit under a cover slip. Individual moss 'leaves', plant hairs, whole or parts of arthropods (mites, spiders, insects, etc.).
At this time of the year, winter in the northern hemisphere, there are literally hundreds of potential subjects in old leaf litter beneath the snow.
Such specimens are best extracted using a Berlese funnel but simply rinsing/washing leaf litter in a tray of water containing the smallest amount of dish-washing liquid (1 or 2 drops of Dawn) will separate out subjects.
Retrieve the specimens and place in 70% Isopropyl Alcohol (should be available at any chemist/drug store; cheap) for a minimum of 24 hrs; can be kept in alcohol indefinitely.
Move a specimen into water, about 5 mins, repeat with fresh water.
Place on a slide and add a drop of 1:1 PVA/glycerin (Polyvinyl Alcohol + glycerin; Elmer's Clear Transparent School Glue is pure PVA); leave to dry for about 4 hrs then add a further drop and add a cover slip.

Search Micscape Magazine for PVA/glycerin details; including PVA/glycerin/borax which gives a much firmer mountant

See Dec 2020, Jan 2021 and Feb 2021 of Micscape Magazine for overwintering leaf-inhabiting critters:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... garden.pdf
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... rden-2.pdf
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... rden-4.pdf
New Brunswick
Canada

mazo4033

#4 Post by mazo4033 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:00 pm

I want to second Tony's method - the PVA glue (like clear Elmer's glue) + a little bit of water + glycerin is an amazing mountant for its simplicity. I use it to mount specimens (specifically plant sections) and it produces a very nice mount that lasts for a long time. It is truly a great mountant that yields good results without having to worry about potential toxicity/good ventilation/a lot of specimen preparation.

Red_Green

#5 Post by Red_Green » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:45 pm

I use elmers clear school glue for sealing cover glass after I have mounted something in 100% pure Canada Balsam gum

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canada-Balsam-F ... xycmBS3Yut

Perfect mounts every single time which will last longer than my bones will. The elmers clear school glue will keep the cover glasses in place while the balsam does it's thing. And both provide a crystal clear mount for viewing.

I have also experimented with the school glue as a mountant. I would use that if I didn't have the balsam. It's pretty good.

TonyT

#6 Post by TonyT » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:58 am

I have not used PVA/glycerin for a long enough time to determine if/when it dries out.

As a possible method to prevent any potential drying I used the following; actually did my 1st experiment 2 days ago and everything looks good.

1] specimen in water, place on slide, remove most of the water with paper towel.
2] immediately add a drop of PVA/glycerin glue to completely cover the specimen
3] let glue dry for a couple of hours
3] add a large drop of Elmer's glue directly from the container and then add a coverslip.

Thinking here is that the Elmer's will seal the specimen in the PVA/glycerin mountant and prevent drying out - only time will tell.

Adding Borax soln. to the PVA/glycerin mix results in a much thicker syrup which sets to a more solid final mount, maybe more resistant to drying.
Recipe in Micscape Magazine:
mix 10 mL PVA with 6 mL glycerin, mix well, gently heat or wait for several hours (maybe a day) for all the fine bubbles to disappear.
When crystal clear gently add 4 mL of saturated Borax solution in water; stir to mix well, again wait for any bubbles to disappear.
New Brunswick
Canada

krame

#7 Post by krame » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:45 am

TonyT wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:34 pm
At this time of the year, winter in the northern hemisphere, there are literally hundreds of potential subjects in old leaf litter beneath the snow.
Such specimens are best extracted using a Berlese funnel but simply rinsing/washing leaf litter in a tray of water containing the smallest amount of dish-washing liquid (1 or 2 drops of Dawn) will separate out subjects.
Could you please elaborate on this procedure further? I am as new as new can be to microscopy, and I've been a little lost on how to search for subjects to view.

When you are washing the leaf litter with dish soap, how does it separate? Subjects float or sink?

TonyT

#8 Post by TonyT » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:48 am

Washing leaf litter or moss is a poor option. However, as there are hundreds of small (barely visible with the naked eye) critters in a couple of liters of material you will always find enough to make it worth while.
Really much better to try and set up an extraction system.
Try placing a hand full of litter, or moss, in a container of slightly soapy water (the soap will lower the surface tension) and shake, stir, or agitate. Many of the critters will be washed out of the sample and will fall to the bottom; unfortunately with lots of leaf or moss bits. You then have to carefully search through this debris to find and remove the critters; a low power dissecting scope is likely essential.
Repeat with another hand full.
A simple funnel system with a top light/heat source and a collection vial with alcohol will give a clean sample, with very little plant debris.
New Brunswick
Canada

krame

#9 Post by krame » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:25 am

Thanks for the insight.
TonyT wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:48 am
A simple funnel system with a top light/heat source and a collection vial with alcohol will give a clean sample, with very little plant debris.
Is that the Berlese funnel method?

zzffnn

#10 Post by zzffnn » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:35 am

I have bought quite many botanical permanent slides from John B and have always been impressed with their quality. Other specialty slide makers, such as Klaus Kemp (diatoms) and
Michel Haak are great as well. Those specialty slide makers love what they do and take pride in their expertise; you will see the difference.

Most of those mass-produced "educational" slides are terrible. Only about 15% of them are decent. Thick mounts, incomplete, uneven cuts or coloration. Not worth the time, in my humble opinion.

perrywespa

#11 Post by perrywespa » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:18 pm

I bought a 100 slide set of Mondo's botanical slides knowing they were cheap and not having high expectations. There are some good slides in the set. I found that many sections are thin and lightly stained but are improved with viewing under polarized light. Some were mislabeled. I've been reasonable satisfied with the set for the money, but Like I said, I had low expectations from the start. I've also made a few of my own hand sections but am struggling with decent mounts and want to try some of the above suggestions.
Perry
Insatiably curious.