Counting chambers and Bogorov chambers

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
Rossf

Counting chambers and Bogorov chambers

#1 Post by Rossf » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:35 pm

Hello-I usual just use normal slide either in inverted or upright-I used petrdishes but that’s for desired chaotic footage as the microbes have such free range in that much water-I want to do a series of vids of microbes dividing-problem is the normal slide often dries out before a microbes finishes the process and Petri dishes are too chaotic for the dividing specimen-one rude big ciliate passing by and my dividing microbe is either lunch or now on the other side of the dish.. I want more water than a slide but way less than Petri-has anyone used blood counting chambers (Hemacytometer) for microbe observation? I was thinking it could be advantages as it holds 0.1mm height of water in the counting region so hopefully wouldn’t dry out so much and may be just small enough amount of water to have some influence on keeping microbes fairly in place.are there parts of the chamber that doesn’t have the micrdivision patterns-or is it not so bad as a background? Or do some not have the counting grid at all.I’ve seen some on eBay fairly cheap-also has anyone used Bogorov chambers (photo below)-looks an interesting alternative to Petri dish’s as it hold 6mls of water and with a coverslip would slosh way less that Petri dish when moving it. I think they use them in forestry to count micro crustaceans etc maybe for pest organism documenting and control. Red_Green did you come across these in your forest technition course-sorry if I’ve bought up a sore topic...if so did you notice advantages to them?
Any advice would be appreciated.
P.S. I know about the Vaseline trick to seal slides but at 53 I know how lazy I am in regards to messy clean ups! As Socrates said “Know theyself” and in regards to my aversion to messy cleanups I know myself pretty damn well!
Regards Ross
Attachments
50696CB7-6A26-422E-9935-ED01A07AE7FA.jpeg
50696CB7-6A26-422E-9935-ED01A07AE7FA.jpeg (97.65 KiB) Viewed 1404 times

dtsh

Re: Counting chambers and Bogorov chambers

#2 Post by dtsh » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:11 pm

I have used a haemacytometer for counting and observing other cells and have used the typical 0.17 coverglass with it. It may well help with the issue.

The typical 22mm x 22mm coverglasses don't cover both chambers, but they work fine with just one. There's nothing wrong with the 0.4mm ones intended for use with the haemacytometer either, but they tend to be more expensive.

Rossf

Re: Counting chambers and Bogorov chambers

#3 Post by Rossf » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:36 am

Thanks for the reply dtsh-I’ll grab one off eBay and give it a go-I like having different types of slides to play with like deep well,cavity etc so it actually seems a nobrainer to just grab one-did you find they don’t dry out as quick as a standard slide and coverslip?
Regards ross