Rosin dissolve in Xylene for permanent slide

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
Suphot

Rosin dissolve in Xylene for permanent slide

#1 Post by Suphot » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:51 am

I would like to share my experience about using Rosin dissolve in Xylene for permanent slide mount. Back in 1977, I experiment to made permanent slide for my Biology class at that time. I know that Canada Balsam is a good permanent mountant, but it is very expensive and difficult to buy one.

I think Rosin is similar to Canada Balsam, and the refractive index of Rosin is 1.525 – 1.548 very close to Canada Balsam at 1.54 I think it can be use as well. I purchase Rosin that use for soldering flux and dissolve it in Xylene (you may purchase light yellow Rosin that use for string musical instrument, it is clearer and less impurity). After that I filter it with filter paper.

When I cross section plant stem, stained it with eosin and dip it in rubbing alcohol, I fixed it with Rosin solution under cover slip. It took several weeks to complete harden. (I sealed 4 sides of cover slip with Rosin solution as you can see in the photo, so the cover slip will not move before it was hardened).
Attachments
Sample Slides.jpg
Sample Slides.jpg (93.73 KiB) Viewed 3823 times

Suphot

Re: Rosin dissolve in Xylene for permanent slide

#2 Post by Suphot » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:53 am

It was more than 40 years now, I kept these slides in the box and forgot about it. the slides still looking OK, the Rosin mountant become more yellow as you can see in the photo.

Under microscope, cross section of plant stem and compound eye of butterfly sample still looking good.

Plant Stem 100X
Attachments
Slide A 100X.jpg
Slide A 100X.jpg (228.6 KiB) Viewed 3822 times

Suphot

#3 Post by Suphot » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:54 am

Plant Stem 400X
Attachments
Slide A 400X.jpg
Slide A 400X.jpg (206.42 KiB) Viewed 3822 times

Suphot

#4 Post by Suphot » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:55 am

Compound eyes of Butterfly 100X
Attachments
Slide B 100X.jpg
Slide B 100X.jpg (231.13 KiB) Viewed 3822 times

Suphot

#5 Post by Suphot » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:56 am

Compound eyes of Butterfly 400X
Attachments
Slide B 400X.jpg
Slide B 400X.jpg (145.87 KiB) Viewed 3822 times

Suphot

#6 Post by Suphot » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:59 am

I did not see Rosin crystalize under cover slip in my sample slides and I still can observe it quite well under microscope. If you are looking for cheap and simple permanent mountant , I think you may try Rosin dissolve in Xylene. It may not suitable with some kind of samples, because I did not try it with section of animal tissues.

From this experiment, I think Rosin dissolve in Xylene can use for permanent slide mount for amateur. It is very cheap, easy to find and last long enough. Rosin dissolve in Xylene can preserve plant stem and some kind of sample quite well. For serious work and professional use, Canada Balsam is a must.

Note: I take theses photo by using mobile phone via Afocal photography technic.

Suphot

Hobbyst46

#7 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:35 am

Good to know about Rosin mountant. Thanks.
Cons are:
1. Rosin itself is an irritant and allergen. Although it is apparently used in the hands of string players (violins etc).
2. Xylene is a carcinogen suspect.
So precautions are recommended.
Also, please note that Rosin dissolves in other liquids, for example alcohols, acetone, which could possibly replace xylene for this purpose. I would try a solution of Rosin in IPA or even ethanol as replacement. Plus, Ethanol and IPA evaporate faster than xylene, and hardening time will be shorter. I mean 95% (or 99-100%) alcohols, not 70% alcohols.

Suphot

#8 Post by Suphot » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:22 am

Thank you very much for your comment Hobbyst46

Your suggestion about other dissolve solution is very interesting. I think it will be benefit to members who would like to try Rosin for mountant.

For amateur, Rosin may be one of alternative for permanent mount. I think it is cheap, easy to make and work quite well.

Suphot.