Numount too viscous

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
MikeBradley

Numount too viscous

#1 Post by MikeBradley » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:40 pm

I occasionally use Brunel Numount when making permanent slides but over time it becomes too viscous, so i buy fresh. Warming the bottle on a coffee cup heating pad helps but not enough. Is it possible to thin Numount and if so what with?
Thanks
Michael
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

mrsonchus

Re: Numount too viscous

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:52 pm

It is easy enough to thin, just use 'Histoclear' - NuMount is resin-based - don't add alcohol or water or even oil to thin it! I have used NuMount to make dozens if not a couple of hundred permanent slides and it's really pretty good and has superb clarity. It may also be possible and indeed perfectly compatible (not sure though) to use Xylene - which I never use as Histoclear is a safe and direct replacement.
John B

MikeBradley

#3 Post by MikeBradley » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:31 am

Thanks John, would Histo I or II make any difference as I have neither at present?
Michael
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

mrsonchus

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:39 am

MikeBradley wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:31 am
Thanks John, would Histo I or II make any difference as I have neither at present?
Michael
Histo' 1 for certain, I've tried Histo' 2 and Histo' 3 and while they are both less 'smelly' they do have compatibility problems with mountants. It used to be the case that they were both substantially cheaper (by as I remember about 60%!). Over the past few years their prices have risen whilst that of Histoclear 1 has remained almost static - removing the price-bonus more or less.
I soon switched back to Histo' 1 having also found good suppliers for the gallon bottles which I use with the many slides that I process and mount.

My advice based upon the past 5-6 years of mounting would definitely be to go for Histoclear 1 and forget the other 2 variants. Starting-out looking quite an indulgence to pay upwards of £100 per (U.S.) gallon, as my microtechnique and efficiency improved my use of all chemicals fell dramatically, virtually removing any real thought of cost of materials...
John B