lactic acid and alcohol type in GALA/fixatives

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
mete

lactic acid and alcohol type in GALA/fixatives

#1 Post by mete » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:34 pm

In the formula of GALA*, both lactic and acetic acid is used. On many other articles and resources I look, I only see acetic acid. What is the different role of lactic acid compared to acetic acid in a fixative ? Can lactic acid be simply replaced with acetic acid in the same quantity in these formulas ?

A similar question is for the alcohol. As isopropanol is much easier to obtain, can it be used to replace ethanol in the same quantity in a fixative ?

Mete

* GALA: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... ount2.html

Greg Howald

Re: lactic acid and alcohol type in GALA/fixatives

#2 Post by Greg Howald » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:59 am

Walter Dioni did not mention the possibility in his book, so i went ahead and ordered the lactic acid, available in a one ounce bottle from Amazon for about
$ 20.00. Ive never tried this but amabout to, and when I do I will play with the formula excluding the lactic acid for test purposes.
Greg

Greg Howald

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:28 pm

Having received and having read most of the book I ordered, the question changes. It is not Why Use Lactic Acid, it is Why Use Vinegar?.
Lactic acid is used in several of the mountent formulas in the book, but I see vinegar only in gala.
Greg

mete

#4 Post by mete » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:29 pm

Interesting, I see almost always acetic acid. Actually I dont remember I saw any fixative formula with lactic acid yet, I think I saw a few times citric acid. Which book is this ?

mete

#5 Post by mete » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:36 pm

Maybe I should add, acid has a certain role and it can probably be accomplished by any of these (just a guess), what I dont get is why to use both in the same formula. It is like using different alcohols in the same formula (no idea if that has any benefit).

Greg Howald

#6 Post by Greg Howald » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:13 pm

I admit that I too am puzzuled. The book is

Safe Microscopice Techniques For Amateurs
(slide mounting)

By the late Walter Dioni.

It is available on Amazon for $ 18.00

mete

#7 Post by mete » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:36 pm

OK, I know the book but I did not buy it yet, not sure how different it is from the articles.

What I mean is for example the ones here (and it is also similar in other articles I read): https://www.leicabiosystems.com/knowled ... solutions/

If acid is used, only one type used and it is acetic acid.