GALA40?

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
Greg Howald

GALA40?

#1 Post by Greg Howald » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:59 am

I admit that I am new at this. Imxed up some GALA60 and it destroyed everything.
I mixed up some GALA 20 and it seemed to work fine until I had sealed the slide and was able to look at it under 40x. It didn't eliminate the bacteria. So those slides won't be useful very long.
I mixed 50/50 GALA 20 and GALA 60. It worked very well. I have good slides to explore and photograph.
Have any of you ever tried this?
Greg

mete

Re: GALA40?

#2 Post by mete » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:20 pm

I just tried something like GALA 20 today, with isopropanol and acetic acid only, so slightly different. It actually did not seem to work for me. However, I think a very careful experimentation has to be done, the result may depend on different things. I also searched other non-formalin, alcohol-based fixative formulas, there is for example one in the literature called EGAP BE70, and it uses 70% alcohol, so I think 20% alcohol in this formula is probably too low. I also wonder the pH of GALA formulas but I couldnt measure my mix today (it seems my pH meter needs an extensive cleaning and calibration).

When you say it destroyed everything, what do you mean ?

What amount of GALA did you mix the samples with ?

Greg Howald

Re: GALA40?

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:41 pm

GALA 60 destroyed everything. Too much alcohol is my guess. I mixed it right out of book. It even destroyed
Cyclops and daphnia.