More mesofauna preparations-- histoclear 2/ omnimount

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
BramHuntingNematodes

More mesofauna preparations-- histoclear 2/ omnimount

#1 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:59 am

I used euparal for the last batch of springtails. I still don't like the hempstead halide stuff-- it's very thin. It pours sides of the slip and gets on top and I guess it clears ok, but I never get quite as good as results as a good soak in histoclear 2 and omnimount. I will probably stick with this combination for a while as I bought 100ml of omnimount, and after making several dozen slides I might have 98ml left. Anyway, I thought this member of Tomoceridae turned out particularly well:

Meanwhile, soil mites are harder to crack as they tighten up pretty good when they die and are hard to get spread out. Maybe some softening is in order, I don't know. I like being able to look at the musculature.

1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Chas

Re: More mesofauna preparations-- histoclear 2/ omnimount

#2 Post by Chas » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:13 pm

Lovely photograph and lighting :-)
I have had a similar gentle but slightly refractive lighting... once... in the past ... I think it was an illuminated card with no condenser.
Any pointers ?

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: More mesofauna preparations-- histoclear 2/ omnimount

#3 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:21 pm

Thanks Chas! This is using a B&L 1.4 achromat condenser unoiled and the supplemental low-power lens for the Dynazoom series. Having the light intensity variable has been very useful, allowing for ideal brightness levels and optimal (usually sparing) use of the condenser iris. I am always fiddling with the centration and small adjustments to the Kohler setup. Of course the light itself is a custom LED setup that maxes out around 5 or 6 watts. It's backed off a little from the focal point of the internal condenser lens and pre-collimated I think resulting in some of the shadows. I can't yet get it in any farther as it's actually mounted inside a GFL tube! I am calling this my Bad News Bear scope as its now a collection of broken and mutilated parts that nevertheless does a pretty good job. For example, the objective has some pitting damage on the front element, maybe adding to the softness.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination