Advice for sampling

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
mazo4033

Advice for sampling

#1 Post by mazo4033 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:45 pm

Hi all,

I've run into a sort of problem with sampling water. I take water samples and they yield few microorganisms.

I aim to sample from water that shows signs of life (algae growing on the surface, plants around the edge of a pond, plants in the water, etc). I also sample from water that looks kind of murky. When I take samples, I make sure to take the water along with some sediment. I made the assumption that obviously these sorts of procedures should yield microorganisms.

However, I essentially have only experienced one successful sampling location, which is a river. I've sampled from other places (pond-like waters), and when I put the water (along with some sediment) on slides, there are no large microorganisms like ciliates. There are just bacteria or the occasional very small flagellate. I don't think this is a seasonal issue as this has been the case in the summer and the winter. I look at the samples the day of sampling (and some time after as well), so it's not like the organisms have died off or something.

I don't understand what I am doing wrong - is my sampling technique incorrect? Should I take deeper layers of sediment? Any advice would be helpful - I feel like people just casually take samples of water and find many organisms and for some reason the majority of my sampling has not yielded much.

Thanks in advance!

Greg Howald

Re: Advice for sampling

#2 Post by Greg Howald » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:19 am

Make sure to take some of the plant life with your sample. Get a good sample. In a one quart wide mouth jar you need about 1 1/2 inches of bottom mud, plant life, and water sample from the surface with floating plant life. If you see few microbes, feed the container with a few grains of cooked rice and a few drops of milk.
Seal the jar so that it is air tight. Set it in the window sill for a week or two and try again. Microbes will wax and wane over time from great abundance to few and rebirth seems to occur. I keep the water at room temperature. If you decide to incubate don't exceed 85 degrees F.
It can be a waiting game. I have one jar over a year old.
Good luck. Have fun. 😃 Greg

BramHuntingNematodes

#3 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:48 am

Maybe it's just where I live but I can grab a few drops with an eye-dropper from any outdoor standing water and find it swimming with life. You might try looking at some water from a potted plant, a birdbath, inside a tree stump, on top of a leaf, in a muddle puddle. Finding some specific organism, a real microbe hunt, that's a bit trickier.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

mazo4033

#4 Post by mazo4033 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:54 pm

Thank you both for the advice. Culturing/feeding the container is a good idea, and I will make sure to keep more plants in the sample!

crb5

#5 Post by crb5 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:01 pm

You could try collecting with a plankton net which concentrates the sample a few hundred to a few thousand times, depending on the depth of the water column you sample.

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:51 am

Plancton concentration in free water is very low, so you will only get a rich sample with a net of filter. You can make a plancton net or filter yourself, I could point you in the right direction.
A lot of life is usually found atattched to plants and wooden surfaces.
I'm member of an old microscopy group and our oldtimers tell that plancton concentration and diversity have dropped a lot in the past 60 years. Some guys are researching the desmids in moors around here. At first they were unhappy to find a much reduced variety, but when sampling more moors in more placed they found a wide variety. So it is likely that you will be able to improve your results over time. Plancton life also has it's yearly cyclus and changes a lot at each single sampling position.

mazo4033

#7 Post by mazo4033 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:32 am

Thank you crb5 and MicroBob. The plankton net is a good idea.