Xanthum gum (or other thickeners)

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
SuiGenerisBrewing

Xanthum gum (or other thickeners)

#1 Post by SuiGenerisBrewing » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:08 pm

I was wondering if anyone has experimented with "thickening" water-based samples with a thickener like xanthum gum (which doesn't require heating) to partially immobilize subjects? In the "professional" lab we use methylcellulose for this purpose, but at home I have quite a bit of xanthum gum (used for making hotsauce) and no methyl cellulose.

Bryan

macnmotion

Re: Xanthum gum (or other thickeners)

#2 Post by macnmotion » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:00 pm

SuiGenerisBrewing wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:08 pm
I was wondering if anyone has experimented with "thickening" water-based samples with a thickener like xanthum gum (which doesn't require heating) to partially immobilize subjects? In the "professional" lab we use methylcellulose for this purpose, but at home I have quite a bit of xanthum gum (used for making hotsauce) and no methyl cellulose.

Bryan
Did you ever try using xanthan gum? I'd love to know your results. I have a supply here (also for making hot sauce).

SuiGenerisBrewing

#3 Post by SuiGenerisBrewing » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:25 pm

Not yet - I'm planning on using it to immobilize a yeast suspension, so that I can do a time-lapse of cell division without the cells floating away. I'd love to get one at 1,000x using phase-contrast!

macnmotion

#4 Post by macnmotion » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:03 pm

Looking forward to seeing your results. Good luck!