Winter Sample Locations

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
SuiGenerisBrewing

Winter Sample Locations

#1 Post by SuiGenerisBrewing » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:02 pm

I have been asked to bring a microscopy sample to an event - tomorrow - but have an issue. I'm in Canada, it's still winter, and my two best source (a pond and birdbath) are frozen solid. Can anyone recommend a place to get a sample with a reasonable density of organisms under these circumstances?

Thanks

dtsh

Re: Winter Sample Locations

#2 Post by dtsh » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 pm

SuiGenerisBrewing wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:02 pm
I have been asked to bring a microscopy sample to an event - tomorrow - but have an issue. I'm in Canada, it's still winter, and my two best source (a pond and birdbath) are frozen solid. Can anyone recommend a place to get a sample with a reasonable density of organisms under these circumstances?

Thanks
I don't have an aquarium, but that would be my first choice. If you have a store nearby that sells fish, maybe get some sediment and water from a tank.
Failing that I'd go for...a livestock water tank, my basement sump, or a potted plant drain pan.

SWmicro

#3 Post by SWmicro » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:11 am

SuiGenerisBrewing wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:02 pm
tomorrow - but have an issue. I'm in Canada, it's still winter,
reasonable density of organisms under these circumstances?
Have you recently bought your partner a bunch of flowers :) !
The water in the vase in which they stand should provide some critters.

@dtsh suggestion is good. Alternative, a small soil sample from a potted plant washed with a few drops of water may provide some ?

Tomorrow is a bit of a problem - I am seeing this at 4am local on Thursday morning in England ! so I suspect your tomorrow may have become today by the time you see this - - else a "Berlese funnel" op. on a soil, or leaf-litter, or dirt sample might have been (may still be) an option ?

Good luck.

SuiGenerisBrewing

#4 Post by SuiGenerisBrewing » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:42 pm

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I was able to crack through the ice on a small creek on my property and pull out a bit of algae. Seems to be some diatoms and cilliates in the sample, which will be good enough for today. I really need to get an aquarium going!