paraffin

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
iconoclastica

paraffin

#1 Post by iconoclastica » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:24 pm

My source of chemicals (Magnacol UK) has stopped shipping internationally. Could anyone advise me where to buy paraffin embedding wax suitable for microtoming in Continental Europe, OR provide a recipe for to make it from raw paraffin?

Alexander

Re: paraffin

#2 Post by Alexander » Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:06 pm

iconoclastica

#3 Post by iconoclastica » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:06 am

Thanks, Alexander, but these offers are about pure paraffin, which I had no trouble finding indeed. Paraffin embedding wax is not pure paraffin, but has additions to facilitate harmonica ribbon formation (e.g. natural rubber, as I came to understand recently). I do not have experience with the embedding wax kind, but I am about to try my microtome first time and I 'd like unnecessary obstacles avoided.

Alexander

#4 Post by Alexander » Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:35 pm

The expensive microtome paraffin has typically some DMSO mixed by. DMSO is readily available. A more classic way is to mix some bee wax to the paraffin.

Ilikeplants

#5 Post by Ilikeplants » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:35 pm

In the past, I have used pure paraffin and obtained ribbon sections with a rotary microtome. It may be a little more finicky, but certainly doable for a lot of samples (my class in uni all used it instead of Paraplast)
Also, without DMSO and the other additives, I was much more comfortable using it (some researchers I have worked with prefer it because of health/safety).
If I were you, I would try using it as a dry run, its cheap enough and may work for what you need.
Sorry, I have no knowledge of Paraplast or other distributors in Europe.