What would be the best quality prepared slide kits available?

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
zzffnn

Re: What would be the best quality prepared slide kits available?

#31 Post by zzffnn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:04 pm

Donna,

The reason for my requests is this. Forums like this one care about image quality, which sometimes demands slide quality better than that of wholesale educational grade.

Your slides may have the potential to produce better image. But leaving a very strong watermark seals prevent people from seeing that quality clearly. You can still claim your property by having a lighter seal covering the entire image.

I asked for cilia or mouth image, because I wanted to see how good your slides really are. Better slides can show those structures very clearly, even under brightfield, while poor slides won't. I have seen both types. I am sure you know this better than I do, as a zoologist: cilia and mouth structures are key identification structures and important for teaching as well.

stonehousezoologist

#32 Post by stonehousezoologist » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:37 pm

zzffnn wrote:Donna,

The reason for my requests is this. Forums like this one care about image quality, which sometimes demands slide quality better than that of wholesale educational grade.

We sell wholesale educational grade, we sell retail grade, and we sell special orders. I LIKE this forum because it DOES
care about quality as Triarch has for 90 years now. Dr. Conant (1st generation) invented the botanical staining technique used today.

Your slides may have the potential to produce better image. But leaving a very strong watermark seals prevent people from seeing that quality clearly. You can still claim your property by having a lighter seal covering the entire image.

Thank you for thinking that our slides are potentially good. I apologize if you find my photography distracting or subpar. Believe me, that quality is NOT reflected in the slides that we sell. We stand behind the quality of our slides 100% and always have. Triarch, Incorporated’s prepared microscope slides are guaranteed unconditionally. Unsatisfactory items, if undamaged, may be returned for full credit within 10 days of your receipt. Buyer pays return shipping. Compensation may be replacement slides, store credit, or monetary refund via a credit posted to the credit card or a mailed check.

I asked for cilia or mouth image, because I wanted to see how good your slides really are. Better slides can show those structures very clearly, even under brightfield, while poor slides won't. I have seen both types. I am sure you know this better than I do, as a zoologist: cilia and mouth structures are key identification structures and important for teaching as well.
I am curious to see if this possible with the equipment that I have available. We work with P. caudatum and P. multimicronucleatum. I will see what I can do. As a former Zoo professor, it is very interesting to learn that someone is teaching microscopic id of paramecium via cilia and oral groove structures. I never found that necessary. I would love to learn more about it.

stonehousezoologist

#33 Post by stonehousezoologist » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:38 pm

We sell wholesale educational grade, we sell retail grade, and we sell special orders. I LIKE this forum because it DOES
care about quality as Triarch has for 90 years now. Dr. Conant (1st generation) invented the botanical staining technique used today.

Thank you for thinking that our slides are potentially good. I apologize if you find my photography distracting or subpar. Believe me, that quality is NOT reflected in the slides that we sell. We stand behind the quality of our slides 100% and always have. Triarch, Incorporated’s prepared microscope slides are guaranteed unconditionally. Unsatisfactory items, if undamaged, may be returned for full credit within 10 days of your receipt. Buyer pays return shipping. Compensation may be replacement slides, store credit, or monetary refund via a credit posted to the credit card or a mailed check.

I am curious to see if this possible with the equipment that I have available. We work with P. caudatum and P. multimicronucleatum. I will see what I can do. As a former Zoo professor, it is very interesting to learn that someone is teaching microscopic id of paramecium via cilia and oral groove structures. I never found that necessary. I would love to learn more about it.

zzffnn

#34 Post by zzffnn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:59 pm

Cilia and oral groove are important features for unknown ciliate identification. Sure, one can identify most Paramecia easily, without seeing cilia or mouth.

I asked to see Paramecia cilia and mouth, because that type of ciliate is easy to find/capture/image. I would love to see a zoomed in photo of Vorticella, if you want to image something slightly harder :twisted:

stonehousezoologist

#35 Post by stonehousezoologist » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:13 am

zzffnn wrote:Cilia and oral groove are important features for unknown ciliate identification. Sure, one can identify most Paramecia easily, without seeing cilia or mouth.

I asked to see Paramecia cilia and mouth, because that type of ciliate is easy to find/capture/image. I would love to see a zoomed in photo of Vorticella, if you want to image something slightly harder :twisted:
Honestly, I take the photos to sell the slides. As has been noticed, there are many photos left for me to take. We also sell Vorticella slides. Are you requesting to purchase digital images? We raise Paramecium and Vorticella but would have no problem harvesting them in our area in the summer as well. My current limitation which is not finding or capturing or imaging these organisms but the level of magnification I am set up to photograph. Carolina Biological sells live Vorticella that you could image. They attach themselves to the plant material in the culture so are easy to find. You will also get Rotifers for free. :)

zzffnn

#36 Post by zzffnn » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:32 am

Donna,

:-) lots of protists are free for grabs, other ciliates, worms, flagellates and diatoms for example.

I don't need to buy any of those live samples. I have successfully raised virus, bacteria, protists, human cells, insects, fish, mice, birds, dogs, cats and humans, professionally or privately :mrgreen:

I am interested in buying silver stained ciliate slides (as I cannot do it at home), such as this slide from http://www.lieder.de
Paramecium, silver stained to show the silver
line or neuroformative system.

I don't see any silver stained ciliates from your catalog though. Do you offer it for special order, if so, how much for a slide like that?

I don't need to buy digital images either. I am all set up for high resolution/magnification imaging, using apo objective, with darkfield, phase contrast, oblique and brightfield. If you send me free slides, I may help you image some at high resolution/magnification :mrgreen:

stonehousezoologist

#37 Post by stonehousezoologist » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:58 am

:-) lots of protists are free for grabs, other ciliates, worms, flagellates and diatoms for example.

I don't need to buy any of those live samples. I have successfully raised virus, bacteria, protists, human cells, insects, fish, mice, birds, dogs, cats and humans, professionally or privately :mrgreen:

I am interested in buying silver stained ciliate slides (as I cannot do it at home), such as this slide from http://www.lieder.de
Paramecium, silver stained to show the silver
line or neuroformative system.

I don't see any silver stained ciliates from your catalog though. Do you offer it for special order, if so, how much for a slide like that?

I don't need to buy digital images either. I am all set up for high resolution/magnification imaging, using apo objective, with darkfield, phase contrast, oblique and brightfield. If you send me free slides, I may help you image some at high resolution/magnification :mrgreen:
I have already submitted a proposal for silver stained ciliates. We do silver stain cerebellum. https://www.triarchincorporated.com/pro ... e-he1-313/

Please contact Triarch Incoporated through the website or phone 920-748-5125 to formally request a quote if you are serious.

Please forgive my miscommunication, I was not offering to sell live animals. I thought that was what you were saying was challenging (ie "finding").

I have no interest in your imaging. Thank you for your offer.

zzffnn

#38 Post by zzffnn » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:24 am

stonehousezoologist wrote: Please contact Triarch Incoporated through the website or phone 920-748-5125 to formally request a quote if you are serious.
Email sent via web page, requesting quote and a typical slide image of silver stained ciliates (to see quality, so watermark is fine), such as Vorticella and Paramecia. Depending on cost/quality, I may buy more. Thanks.

Edit:

I found this chick embryo 48 hr WM from Carolina, which looks like it came from Triarch. I would prefer it be stained a little lighter, but it looks good for $18 per slide:

http://www.carolina.com/genetics-embryo ... _311592.pr

stonehousezoologist

#39 Post by stonehousezoologist » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:17 pm

zzffnn wrote:
stonehousezoologist wrote: Please contact Triarch Incoporated through the website or phone 920-748-5125 to formally request a quote if you are serious.
Email sent via web page, requesting quote and a typical slide image of silver stained ciliates (to see quality, so watermark is fine), such as Vorticella and Paramecia. Depending on cost/quality, I may buy more. Thanks.

Edit:

I found this chick embryo 48 hr WM from Carolina, which looks like it came from Triarch. I would prefer it be stained a little lighter, but it looks good for $18 per slide:

http://www.carolina.com/genetics-embryo ... _311592.pr
Chick Embryo 96 Hours WM Prepared Microscope Slide EE12-1

The above slide will need to be photographed with a dissection scope due to the embryo's large size/

Chick Embryo 96 Hours Rep Sag Section Prepared Microscope Slide EE12-31

The above slide is back ordered so there are none to photograph. We do not wholesale our embryo slides and never have.

Chick Embryo 96 Hours Rep CS Prepared Microscope Slide EE12-21

The photo in this link represents part of the 4th of 8 sections at a magnification of 10x.
https://www.triarchincorporated.com/pro ... e-ee12-21/

Here is a link to our 48 hour chick wm embryo

https://www.triarchincorporated.com/pro ... ide-ee8-1/

The stain is often darker than expected on these to clearly illustrate the soma.

I do not believe we have received your email regarding the silver stain paramecium request. However, I spoke with someone and have been given permission to attempt it if there is real interest.

I hope this answers your questions about our product.

zzffnn

#40 Post by zzffnn » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:00 pm

Thanks Donna.

I just sent web site email again (after completing message and solving 3+6=9) and copied to my own email this time. I received the cc'ed message right away. Maybe see your spam folder (yes, I did send the email last time). So yes, there is real interest.

I like your 96hr Rep CS photo.

kit1980

#41 Post by kit1980 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:58 am

I've just received some Leider slides - it's one of the companies that were recommended in this thread.
The set I've bought is one the Leider's "Sets of economic slides sets MICR-O-SLIDE": 59-5240 Fungi, mushrooms and algae under the microscope
(Cryptogams part I).

I'm really disappointed with the quality:

- for 7 (out of 10) of the slides below the cover glass there is some smaller very thin glass or (more likely) plastic tape, under which the specimen is situated. This arrangement seems to greatly deteriorate image quality even for a 20x objective;
- the cover glass is not parallel to the slide: for one of the slides (probably not the worst one) I measured mount height as 0.19mm on one side, an 0.27 mm on another;
- too much random dirt in the mount, dark field seems to be extremely problematic;
- some slides are badly stained or sectioned (like Penicillium one that should show brush-like structures according to the included booklet, but shows only small amount of spores because of cross-sectioning);
- badly-written booklet, that says that mushroom is a kind of a plant and give advices like "never focus downward while looking into the microscope".

I'm going to return the slides. Maybe other, non "economic", slides from Leider are better, I don't know...
Omax microscope with Nikon CF objectives
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II camera
http://sdymphoto.com/

zzffnn

#42 Post by zzffnn » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:46 am

I tried to order from Lieder, but they have not replied my third email, which was a response and question to their invoice. It had been more than 2 months.

I told them twice that I need silver stained Paramecium and will happily wait 6 weeks or longer (as they told me), for all slides to be shipped together. They forgot to include it in invoice (which took them 8 days to produce, after I told them which slides I needed). I then pointed out that invoice mistake in my reply email, but got no response since.

I tried to order 7 individual slides, which their pdf said cost about 50 euros, but I receive an invoice of 97 euros and got two strange charges that I did not asked for:

1) Standard slide box for 12 microscope slides. 9.3 euro

I asked them if that is that a required purchase. I was/am actually willing to pay for it, if they reply my email and explain it with one simple sentence such as "yes, that is a required purchase". I got no response from them since.

2) CIP costs, documents, packing 1 parcel approx 0,5 kg by parcel Post Premuim 31 Euro

Again, I am wiling to pay for it. Just what "documents" do I need to pay again, since I am already buying slides. I did not ask for any such documents. I also did not get an option of selecting a cheaper shipping - I want cheap slow shipping - 7 microscope slides (a value of 50 euros) probably should not cost 31 euros to ship? I got no response nor explanation.

Also, there is 6.5% payment fees (in my case about 6 euros), if credit card is used. I am still ok with that. But future buyer should take note.

Sm33

#43 Post by Sm33 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:35 am

Hi, I am from India. Where do I get Triarch plant slides for 2 dollars or less? I felt 7 dollars was too expensive. In India nearly 1 dollar is charged per slide (containing single section). Can you make slides like that?

Sm33

#44 Post by Sm33 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:39 am

stonehousezoologist wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:38 pm

Hi, I am from India. Where do I get Triarch plant slides for 2 dollars or less? I felt 7 dollars was too expensive. In India nearly 1 dollar is charged per slide (containing single section). Can you make slides like that? Can you give me your contact num ber so that I can try to order

BramHuntingNematodes

#45 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:06 pm

They're very nice slides. I think the price is fair.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

MicroBob

#46 Post by MicroBob » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:01 pm

Hi Fan,

here you can find some interesting information on praparation of ciliates and silver staining and some recipes by Wilhelm Foissner: http://www.mikrohamburg.de/Tips/Ciliaten.pdf

If you can get hold of fresh silver nitrate solution you could make your slides at home, we did this on a group meeting 5 years ago.

Bob
Attachments
Paramecium versilbert zugeschnitten 1024.jpg
Paramecium versilbert zugeschnitten 1024.jpg (127.19 KiB) Viewed 5808 times

mrsonchus

#47 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:51 pm

Sm33 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:35 am
Hi, I am from India. Where do I get Triarch plant slides for 2 dollars or less? I felt 7 dollars was too expensive. In India nearly 1 dollar is charged per slide (containing single section). Can you make slides like that?
$2 or less for quality slides - that may be asking a lot I think - quality slides are not mass-produced and are very labour-intensive to produce!
John B

Dubious

#48 Post by Dubious » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:43 pm

Triarch's prices seem very reasonable (for the US, that is--I can well understand that because of exchange rates they would seem high in India) and I just tried to order some protist slides but found the shopping cart not working. I'll have to try again later.

Sm33

#49 Post by Sm33 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:23 am

https://www.fishersci.com/store1/cart/? ... tryCode=US
I wanted to buy this product. But I don't know why it isn't giving an option for outside US. I desperately want to buy. Does anybody have WhatsApp number of anyone in Triarch?