Culturing algae, the next level

Here you can discuss sample and specimen preparation issues.
Crater Eddie

Culturing algae, the next level

#1 Post by Crater Eddie » Wed May 27, 2015 12:58 pm

I have been having a lot of fun poking though my algae bottles over the last several months, have seen some great things. I have come to the realization that I really like the filamentous algae, and particularly the Zygnema. Occasionally I'll come across a Zygnema specimen that just blows me away, but they are few and far between in my samples. It occurs to me that I should be able to isolate a few particularly cool looking strands and propagate them. Eventually I should have a working culture, maybe in time for fall and winter observing season. Has anyone tried this? I realize that I could just order some, have found a few online sources, but where's the fun in that? I have done quite a bit of reading on proper methods of culturing algae, appropriate nutrients, and so forth. Previously I have just been blundering about with my jars, this will take some proper method.
Sounds like fun.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

billbillt

Re: Culturing algae, the next level

#2 Post by billbillt » Wed May 27, 2015 1:37 pm

It does sound like fun... I have some here I had growing for 2 1/2 years, but it is now not looking so good... Maybe it is time to start anew?...

Crater Eddie

#3 Post by Crater Eddie » Wed May 27, 2015 2:58 pm

I have found all kinds of interesting links while researching this. Here is a nice one at Flinn Scientific:

http://www.flinnsci.com/store/Scripts/p ... duct=19844

This is the order page for Zygnema cultures, but it also has links to information on growing algae cultures and making nutrient solutions. Some of the info here looks like high school level stuff, but it's still good information with easy to understand directions. Unfortunately they only sell to teachers and educators, but there is still useful information here.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

gekko

#4 Post by gekko » Wed May 27, 2015 3:03 pm

I wish you both good luck on your efforts. Yes, it can be fun (if you are succeeding :) ). Thank you for the interesting link. I've bought stuff (not living things, though) from Carolina Biological so one may be able to order from them without being a teacher:
http://www.carolina.com/living-organism ... gQodY3QAVA

Crater Eddie

#5 Post by Crater Eddie » Wed May 27, 2015 4:21 pm

Thanks for that link Gekko. I have perused their site before but never ordered anything. I think it's interesting that Carolina Biological has a greater variety of items and will sell to individuals, whereas Flinn has a narrower selection and restricts sales to educators only. :? :? Go figure. Each site offers different kinds of free information, so they sort of compliment one another.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)