Leitz Laborlux D or Zeiss Axiostar for a beginner (trying to diagnoze herself)

This is the place where collectors can discuss their passion.
leea

Leitz Laborlux D or Zeiss Axiostar for a beginner (trying to diagnoze herself)

#1 Post by leea » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:00 am

Hello everyone,

I am in a dire need of a microscope for health reasons, and since I am buying a microscope I want to buy a decent one once and for all.

I have my eyes set on a Leitz Laborlux D and a Zeiss Axiostar, unfortunately I cannot afford both. Which would you recommend? I would need to look at blood and for parasites etc. at the very least. Which would be easier or cheaper to upgrade? Anything else I should know?

Thank you in advance for anyone who cares to look and/or comment!

dtsh

Re: Leitz Laborlux D or Zeiss Axiostar for a beginner (trying to diagnoze herself)

#2 Post by dtsh » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:13 pm

First and foremost, this isn't a medical forum and discussion of those topics is necessarily limited; it's probably best to stick to discussing the technicals of microscopy and leave the diagnosis and practce of medicine to those properly trained for it.

I haven't used either microscope myself, but they're both fine scopes and should be more than capable of routine cellular examination. I would expect any professional level microscope made since the late 40's (and many earlier examples) to be entirely capable of the task.

How familiar are you with microscopy? If you haven't been trained to use one, it is probably well worth your while to do some reading and watch some videos before you start shopping so you know what parts might be missing or not quite up to the task.
Common features to consider are the type of illumination and it's brightness as some techniques require a brighter light than others. Plan objectives vs non-plan, achromats or apochromats, etc.