Serendipity

This is the place where collectors can discuss their passion.
neal Shields

Serendipity

#1 Post by neal Shields » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:59 pm

Sometimes in life we are so busy looking for what we expect to see we miss some really cool stuff.

Often in things like tadpole intestines, I have found that the contents are more interesting than the tadpole. Some of my best diatom slides weren't supposed to be diatom slides.

I have a set of slides made by a big dog lab that are sections of pig embryo. This morning I noticed that there are an awful lot of things that look just like diatoms.

I got near the edges of the coverslip, far away from the sample and found them everywhere.

I am not going to oil up my 100X objective but on my Zeiss with a 40x objective and the 2X Optivar engaged, I am pretty sure they are diatoms. (The mounting medium is thick and the diatoms are resting on the surface of the slide so I am probably looking through 15 microns of mounting medium.

Is anyone else finding anything interesting on your slides that wasn't intended to be there.

I also have a water flea slide that has a totally different bug that just came along for the ride.

Neal

Sure Squintsalot

Re: Serendipity

#2 Post by Sure Squintsalot » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:18 am

I'll have to look for it, but cruising around one of my old CPUs, I found a smiley face.

Surely photoresisted by one of these guys when the others weren't looking:
Screenshot 2022-07-27 201813.jpg
Screenshot 2022-07-27 201813.jpg (45.13 KiB) Viewed 1567 times