Looking for a NICE dust cover

Here you can discuss DIY adaptations to the microscope.
Sure Squintsalot

Looking for a NICE dust cover

#1 Post by Sure Squintsalot » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:17 pm

My microscope looks kind of cool and I'd hate to cover it with a "grocery bag" when I'm not using it.

Has anyone made a nice transparent dust cover?

Specifically looking for anything that doesn't turn my unit into an ugly pile of cloudy plastic.

Greg Howald

Re: Looking for a NICE dust cover

#2 Post by Greg Howald » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:31 am

I'm sure we can all relate to your quagmire. Spend hundreds if not thousands for a piece of equipment that you protect with a piece of crud.

Greg Howald

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:52 pm

The lack of response to your post from others might indicate the number of viable solutions which have been found. ;)

Greg Howald

#4 Post by Greg Howald » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:04 pm

My wife, the artist, says you need to take your mind off science and put it on art. Your dust covers could become R2D2, Astronauts, flower garden, a set of minions. She says prospects are endless dependant upon your personality.

Sure Squintsalot

#5 Post by Sure Squintsalot » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:47 pm

Yeah, it looks like I'm going to have to come up with something; I just thought there'd be an obvious off-the-shelf solution besides a garbage bag.

Good thing we have some sewing skills in this household. Can you think of any useful features that would be worth having in a dust cover? Disco lighting? Soothing music? Integrated terrarium?

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:49 pm

Sew a rectandular sack made of thick double-layer cotton. A colorful ornamental heavy upholstry cloth will do just fine. Can be bought by the meter. Make it tall enough to protect the camera (if there is one attached on top) as well. Then place it over the microscope. Not transparent, but it will not catch static charge so wo'nt catch dust. And it is permeable to air, so will not create a sauna around the scope in humid weather.
Zeiss Standard GFL+Canon EOS-M10, Olympus VMZ stereo

GerryR

#7 Post by GerryR » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:45 am

If you want to display it, get some Lexan or Plexiglas and make a display case for it. You could also find an appropriately sized fish tank and set it upside-down over your 'scope on a wooden platform. Just some suggestions.