Microstar IV Analyzer

Here you can discuss DIY adaptations to the microscope.
BrianBurnes

Microstar IV Analyzer

#1 Post by BrianBurnes » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:49 am

The original analyzer box for the Microstar IV seems hard to come by, and I've been using a simple PVA polarizing disk inside the head for a while to get a poor man's polarizing microscope.

I've been looking for a more convenient way to house the analyzer which would allow me to rotate it and remove it from the optical path as needed. I ended up designing a 3D printed housing that copies the dovetail design of the Microstar itself and allows me to clamp it into the optical path.

The polarizer sits on a swing arm that can be moved in and out of the optical path as needed. The arm itself is on a hinge and is held in the open/close position with magnets. The polarizing disk sits on a geared wheel that engages with a handwheel when the polarizer is enabled, allowing it to be turned.

I've created a video of the assembly and usage of the polarizer box in a youtube video for those interested.

Below are a few pictures (click for larger version):

ImageImage

apochronaut

Re: Microstar IV Analyzer

#2 Post by apochronaut » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:54 pm

That is also very neat and tidy. Looks like original equipment.

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:32 pm

That's stunning. Rotating intermediate polarizers tend to be pretty darned expensive and scarce on the secondary market--I've been iterating a design for one for my z6 but nothing nearly as beautiful or intricate as this.

arb566

#4 Post by arb566 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:49 am

Well done. I can appreciate the head scratching that went into that not to mention the printing and testing.
Proper job!

Gasman

#5 Post by Gasman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:05 pm

That’s a brilliant add on for the scope Brian 👍. Must get one of those 3D printers!
Steve