I saw the light. Inspred by billbillt

Here you can discuss DIY adaptations to the microscope.
The QCC

I saw the light. Inspred by billbillt

#1 Post by The QCC » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:45 pm

Taking billbillt as my inspiration, I dug out my 6w LED that was useless as an illuminating source for my main microscope.
Gathering up some spare parts I assembled a working LED illuminator for the Hover Labs polarizing microscope.
The only part I did not have was a socket for the lamp. The local hardware store stocks the 2 pin, 6mm socket as a LampHolder.
The LED is a round cylinder with three LED faces. Only one face is directed up to the diffuser. In an attempt to gather some of the lost light, the inside of the housing is lined with shiny foil.
The LEDis a 12-24V AC/DC lamp, so polarity was not an issue. The 12VDC power supply does not tax the lamp and the heat is manageable.
The dimmer works well.

Total cost of the project is approx. $26.00. I include the cost of the transformer, dimmer and housing from a unit I purchased on eBay. A LED illuminator that was woefully inadequate.

The project is a success, if not the neatest looking piece of workmanship.
There is now more than adequate illumination for viewing thin section on the microscope.

Click on the photo to see the parts and build process.
LED-6w_w-holder.jpg
LED-6w_w-holder.jpg (87.45 KiB) Viewed 3181 times
[/url]

billbillt

Re: I saw the light. Inspred by billbillt

#2 Post by billbillt » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:10 pm

I think you did a first class job... Nothing wrong with the looks of it at all to me...