Wood Microscope storage box plans/ideas

Here you can discuss DIY adaptations to the microscope.
NEILH

Wood Microscope storage box plans/ideas

#1 Post by NEILH » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:47 pm

Hello, I purchased a small microscope for my Granddaughter. I want to construct a wooden storage box. I am looking for plans, ideas or photos.

Thank you,

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: Wood Microscope storage box plans/ideas

#2 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:03 pm

Standard packing for good scopes up through the 1950's was a wooden box, invariably a box-jointed case with a solid wood front attached with metal hinges and the back being either a panel fit into grooves or rabbets in the case or a thin panel or sheet of plywood tacked or glued. A handle is usually affixed to the top. There are many examples online if you would like to search for some. The wood should be a dimensionally stable species like mahogany or linden and should definitely be sealed against moisture absorption by the wood. Do not use soft wood from the hardware store as it is left intentionally wetter than final seasoning.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:54 pm

I don't have one, but I have always liked the look of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Carl-Zei ... SwxddfRycb
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

BramHuntingNematodes

#4 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:58 pm

gonna need some good router skills to put in a tambour but yeah that does look neat
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Bryan

#5 Post by Bryan » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:55 pm

I have a nice wood box that my Leitz SM microscope came in. It's fitted to hold the microscope securely so it's not bouncing around in the box. It also has holes for extra eyepieces and objectives and a storage compartment for other stuff. It's the box that the microscope came in when it was new. A Google image search of wood microscope boxes should give you some good ideas.