AO10 condenser filter slot / aux lens

Here you can discuss DIY adaptations to the microscope.
dtsh

AO10 condenser filter slot / aux lens

#1 Post by dtsh » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:36 pm

First off, I found a couple of the condensers for the AO10 Series in my posession were missing the the add-on filter slot. I presume this was some sort of option, thus wasn't always included, so I spent a little time taking measurements and modelled one based off the ones I have that do have it. It's just a small biit of aluminum that screws to the dovetail with (3) #2-56 machine screws to provided a place to insert 33mm filters.

The part is indicated in this photo by the arrow
AO_cond_slot2.jpg
AO_cond_slot2.jpg (86.81 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
Here's a shot of the old and new together. If you look closely you can see that I did not have the screw for the auxuliary lens held straight; thus is is slightly misaligned. Easily fixable at least.
AO_cond_slot1.jpg
AO_cond_slot1.jpg (93.33 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
I have been printing thses with 0.10mm layer height and 70% infill so they should be good enough for all but the most demanding use. If you make use of these I would appreciate your feedback for improvements.
You can find the model here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4843031

Of the examples I have at hand, it seems that the stop lug for the aux lens are sometimes a #2 and sometimes a #6 screw and I was curious which is more common and prehaps if anyone knew why there is a difference?

apochronaut

Re: AO10 condenser filter slot / aux lens

#2 Post by apochronaut » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:06 pm

Some of them used a doughnut shaped cam as a stop. Loosening the screw allows you to rotate it for precise alignment of the optical center. I haven't checked on the screw size but probably the #2 are missing the cam?

dtsh

#3 Post by dtsh » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:32 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:06 pm
Some of them used a doughnut shaped cam as a stop. Loosening the screw allows you to rotate it for precise alignment of the optical center. I haven't checked on the screw size but probably the #2 are missing the cam?
I believe I have one of what you are describing and it is the one with the #2 screw. The hole through the cam is offset, so one can rotate it to change the alignmnet. Doesn't seem like the effect it would gain, if any, would be worth the change and the cost to produce one vs the other seems inignificant. I ended up making a small press-fit sleeve that changes the hole size from the #6 to the #2. Not exactly elegant, but it works.
aux_lugs.jpg
aux_lugs.jpg (76.17 KiB) Viewed 2559 times

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:10 pm

Actually, having the auxilary lens at the optical center is beneficial . It isn't as noticeable visually but for photography , it reduces a slight uneveness in the background given that the condenser struggles to fill the field. With the series 4. Very noticeable for phase contrast when using the 10X objective.

dtsh

#5 Post by dtsh » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:34 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:10 pm
Actually, having the auxilary lens at the optical center is beneficial . It isn't as noticeable visually but for photography , it reduces a slight uneveness in the background given that the condenser struggles to fill the field. With the series 4. Very noticeable for phase contrast when using the 10X objective.
I suppose that probably explains it then. Shame the centerable consdensers aren't as prolific or as easy to just 3D print.