Disassembling a Nikon UW head

Here you can discuss DIY adaptations to the microscope.
HelloMello

Disassembling a Nikon UW head

#1 Post by HelloMello » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:00 pm

Hey all,

I'm currently working on a parts UW head I got from ebay. Will probably post a full formatted guide to my findings once I'm done but for now I'm stuck at removing the individual eye piece holders from the central stem (which is cracked, in my case).
UW Crack.jpg
UW Crack.jpg (70.3 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
Anyone know if I need to remove the Nikon sticker or the plastic piece to reveal some screws or something?
UW Front Piece.jpg
UW Front Piece.jpg (85.22 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
Thanks in advance.

PeteM

Re: Disassembling a Nikon UW head

#2 Post by PeteM » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:23 pm

My vague recollection is that the central cap labelled "Nikon" comes off - and from there you'll see some sort of retainer. Remove that and the two eyetube parts should slide apart. There's also a limit control screw on the side.

As you've likely found, the covers on sides also come off for access to the prisms etc.

There's not a lot of "meat" where your break is located - unless you have replacement parts a repair is likely to be difficult.

Phill Brown

#3 Post by Phill Brown » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:35 pm

It's scrap if not useable as is.
Not rare or expensive by Nikon standards.
You will need a replacement that is the same type, some have a plastic collar with 3 notches in the mount tubes for the eyepiece.
They are not compatible, the eyepiece mount tubes have different spacing for the screws unless you have the eyepieces with the replacement.
The plastic cap with the serial number is screwed on tight then the label is put on.
Under that is a nylon lock ring with an obvious set screw to loosen first.
As it's mount is already broken there is nothing to be gained,
Prisms are fitted and aligned after assembly so they would need removing also, leave eyepiece tubes in place, one less thing to align.
Super glued or JB weld might keep the dust in
if it's worth doing it's worth doing properly.

HelloMello

#4 Post by HelloMello » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:33 pm

Ah gotcha. Thanks for the insights.

Looks like the splitter prism has some balsam separation too, so probably will scrap it.
I'll try taking the Nikon cap off and see if I can JB weld it, if only to use the wide binoc view.