Microstar IV - DIY polarizing filters

Here you can discuss DIY adaptations to the microscope.
dtsh

Microstar IV - DIY polarizing filters

#1 Post by dtsh » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:03 pm

I've had some curiosity involving polarized microscopes for some time, I just hadn't gotten around to learing the basics of what's needed until a recent discussion with another member.
I was working on a proper insert to fit under the head with a wheel for rotating the polarizer, etc but decided to go with something very simple instead; I may revisit the other design in the future if I find it might add some extra utility for the effort.

It needs two 32mm diameter polarizers and one 30mm 1/4 wave lambda plate. There really isn't much to it, one of the polarizers drops in under the head, the second sits on top of the field lens, and the lambda plate holder slides in under the condenser and is retained by a clip. Unfortunately, the lambda holder requires a Cat.1201 condenser or other compatible with the filter slot, so if you have a Cat.1970 or other, it might need some redesigning (it does work with the 1205 phase turret). Converting it back to basic BF involves pulling the clip and removing the lambda holder and taking the polarizer off the field lens, which should take little effort and no significant disassembly. The field polarizer and the lambda plate rotate, allowing the adjustment of the polarization. The only difficult part is connecting the lambda plate holder to the condenser body as the retaining tabs are short so controlled use of force will be required.

Here's a view from FreeCAD so you can see what the parts are.
CAD_exploded.jpg
CAD_exploded.jpg (56.71 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
Here's an image of all the printed parts with the filters and lambda ready to be installed into the microscope.
410_pol_all_parts.jpg
410_pol_all_parts.jpg (124.77 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
Working our way from the top down, drop the polarizer in the head. There's a square block on one side to allow easier retreival with a pair of forceps.
410_pol_head.jpg
410_pol_head.jpg (93.79 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
Here's a shot showing the condenser parts ready to be inserted.
410_pol_condenser_parts.jpg
410_pol_condenser_parts.jpg (101.4 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
And assembled
410_pol_condenser_assembled.jpg
410_pol_condenser_assembled.jpg (78.97 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
Last edited by dtsh on Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dtsh

Re: Microstar IV - DIY polarizing filters

#2 Post by dtsh » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:06 pm

And lastly, the field lens polarizer/analyzer just sits on top of the field lens. I added knurling to the this part and the lambda holder to make it easier to grip them when rotating.
410_pol_field_filter.jpg
410_pol_field_filter.jpg (88.2 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
Now onto the results....
A sample of Orange G stain in brightfield.
orange_g_bf.jpg
orange_g_bf.jpg (54.73 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
Orange G in polarized light.
orange_g_pol.jpg
orange_g_pol.jpg (152.83 KiB) Viewed 1412 times

A copepod I mounted, in brightfield.
copepod_bf.jpg
copepod_bf.jpg (70.66 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
And polarized light.
copepod_pol.jpg
copepod_pol.jpg (48.25 KiB) Viewed 1412 times

The necessary files are on Thingiverse for those that want them.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5167470

I appreciate your suggestions on improvements, criticisms, and comments!

dtsh

Re: Microstar IV - DIY polarizing filters

#3 Post by dtsh » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:11 pm

Combining polarization and phase contrast appear to be too much for the 410's illumination, otherwise I'd have included some samples of that too.