Humor me with this...

Here you can discuss DIY adaptations to the microscope.
kinase

Humor me with this...

#1 Post by kinase » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:23 am

I just had a thought, and it may be a stupid one but here it goes - is there anything stopping me from taking an upright, turning it upside down, and using it as an inverted? Other than the inconvenience of everything now being upside down... I don't really see why it wouldn't work? I would keep the slide on the side it normally goes on, but put the sample on the other side nearer to the light source. Maybe I'm missing something obvious...

Also another thing I found handy is to take a tiny petri dish, drill a small hole in the bottom of it, and glue a coverslip to it. That way, the new edges you just created by drilling the hole and the coverslip create a small space for sample to be held. I forget what hole size we drilled but it took like 30uL of sample and gave a nice cylindrical column of water that I could look at easily with 40x and 100x oil immersion objectives.

apochronaut

Re: Humor me with this...

#2 Post by apochronaut » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:44 am

In theory it is possible. There are a couple of things to be considered though.

The objectives used, would have to be long working distance objectives, so they could view in a well corrected fashion , through the extra layer(s) of glass and you would need to turn the condenser into a L.W.D. condenser by removing the top lens.

You would be limited( as is the case , with inverteds now, to objectives not much exceeding 50X , because both the condenser and the objective , for higher powers, need to get close.

You would need to bolt the microscope to a table , which was bolted to the ceiling, in the fashion of the many rumoured , wealthy party types , who had a separate room in their house, completely fitted out in everything upside down, including a fake chandelier rising from the floor, so they could respectfully install passed out party guests therein, to sleep it off and become utterly confused or be driven insane upon awakening.

That said, I have an autistic daughter, who upon discovering that she could easily walk on her hands at the age of 7, spent the entire summer and most of the following winter walking everywhere on her hands, in the bank, the grocery store, in the apple orchard, in the kitchen, etc. etc. She would have dug it.

AO , for the series 10 and 20 made a teaching attachment, which was essentially two dovetails at right angles. The second, teaching head was put in the vertical oriented dovetail upside down, so the eyepieces pointed up at an angle. By using one of those,in your upside down microscope you could put the second head right side up, so that when the microscope was upside down, the eyepieces would be pointing up at an angle, thereby making the upside down microscope easy to use when the user was rightside up. The other dovetail, that normally would have been used in the rightside up microscope to carry the primary head, could now be used to mount a 200mm prime camera lens , attached to a digital camera body, which would be mounted to the dovetail by an adapter that threads into the filter ring of the 200mm lens( these are available from rafcamera for that dovetail), so the inverted microscope could also easily be made camera ready, although the camera would be upside down.

lorez

Re: Humor me with this...

#3 Post by lorez » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:18 pm

If you want a simple solution to an inverted microscope I just happen to have a nice refurbished AO 1810 that is looking for a good home.

lorez