Replacement knobs for Leica MS5 and MZ75/MZ8

Here you can discuss DIY adaptations to the microscope.
Scarodactyl

Replacement knobs for Leica MS5 and MZ75/MZ8

#1 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue May 03, 2022 6:40 am

A pretty basic replacement but I am pleased with how it came out. I got a Leica MS5 body for 40 dollars because the knobs had been removed amd replaced with flat caps which were screwed in place so it was stuck on 1x.
I modelled and 3d printed replacement knobs to resemble the originals (working from a broken MZ75 knob which is larger so it's not 1:1). Instead of screwing in from the end they slip on and are secured with a bolt through the side.
Feels nice and works well. The MS5 seems underappreciated. It's pretty much a Wild m3c with a plastic case but all metal interior, plus it fits into standard 76mm mounts rather than being locked into an unwanted proprietary rack and pinion setup. Real nice and often cheap, though usually not this cheap.
Last edited by Scarodactyl on Thu May 05, 2022 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

dtsh

Re: Replacement knobs for Leica MS5

#2 Post by dtsh » Tue May 03, 2022 2:19 pm

Nicely done!
Did you design the knobs yourself or adapt another model to fit?

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Tue May 03, 2022 4:06 pm

Nicely done, Stephen.

Those knobs are so often broken (on other similar Wild and Leica stereo scopes as well), this could inspire or help many others. Any chance you'll offer them on eBay?

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue May 03, 2022 5:34 pm

Thanks, this was my own model though of course just copying Leica's styling. I'll put the design up, though I suspect they might have modified the scope such that this wouldn't work on a normal ms5. I could model a copy of the mz75 knob I have too though.

Scarodactyl

#5 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu May 05, 2022 6:45 pm

I posted my design for the MS5 here, though I am not sure they're generally usable: https://www.printables.com/model/194370 ... microscope
PeteM wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:06 pm
Nicely done, Stephen.

Those knobs are so often broken (on other similar Wild and Leica stereo scopes as well), this could inspire or help many others. Any chance you'll offer them on eBay?
That said I went ahead and modified the model I made for the MS5 to fit the MZ8/MZ75.
https://www.printables.com/model/194674 ... a-mz75-mz8
(Pictured on my MZ8 clone since I don't have a real MZ75/MZ8 on hand, just a couple broken knobs from one. The MZ8 clone has identical knobs to the real one, which I know since that's how I replaced these broken MZ75 knobs).
The cosmetic match isn't perfect but it's pretty close. As with the MS5 the layer lines give it a pleasant grip. If anyone has an MZ6 handy I would love to have a few measurements from the knobs to see if they're the same as the MZ75 or if I'll need to modify the model to fit them as well.