Making a drawing tube using a Wild beamsplitter?

Here you can discuss DIY adaptations to the microscope.
Milou

Making a drawing tube using a Wild beamsplitter?

#1 Post by Milou » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:44 pm

Hello,
Do you think it could be possible to make a drawing device using a Wild beam splitter (ref type 319449)?
For use on a M8 Wild stereo microscope

I don't know if there is a special optical system between 90° prism (beam splitter) and mirror (at the end of device)?

Perhaps anybody has a scheme or could see this on his drawing tube?

Thank you for your help

DWSmith

Re: Making a drawing tube using a Wild beamsplitter?

#2 Post by DWSmith » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:00 pm

I can't answer your question but I'm very interested in your effort for making a drawing tube. Line drawings are much more informative than photographs in some respects. It's a shame the techniques and equipment aren't more popular and better documented.

Good luck in your endeavor and keep us posted please!

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:11 pm

You'd probably need a long focal length lens along with the mirror to focus the image of the paper surface to infinity and feed it into the beamsplitter. I don't think it would likely be a savings over just buying the unit.

Milou

#4 Post by Milou » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:15 pm

Thank's for your comments.
In fact considering the very high cost of these drawing tubes (at least the ones recently offred: 400 -700 euros, almost the price I've bought my M8 with phototube!), I've tried another much more cheaper way.....t.

I've bought a small chinese 5MP CMOS USB Microscope Camera (for less than 40 euros) set on the phototube of my M8
I use an old laptop to get pictures and with a piece of plexi, I can draw directly on it's so sheltered screen

I'm very surprised to see the good picture quality obtained with such a very cheap equipment!
Furthermore a lot of soft settings are possible that could even facilitate drawing.

Therefore this solution is a good alternative and the camera also could have other uses :-)