Lentz Microtome Knife

Here you can discuss DIY adaptations to the microscope.
charlie

Lentz Microtome Knife

#1 Post by charlie » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:45 pm

My local university has about 6 of these up for auction. I was going to grab one to use on a future homemade microtome.

They would be high test steel right? Looking on google, it seems like a disposable microtome knife is used by many.

Or is it overkill for a rookie? Maybe razor blades/scalpels are good enough? :)

75RR

Re: Lentz Microtome Knife

#2 Post by 75RR » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:08 pm

Do you have an image or a link?
It may not be suitable to use on a home made microtome.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

charlie

#3 Post by charlie » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:16 pm

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:50 pm

With home made microtomes as in hand microtomes the knife is held by hand. Not sure how one would hold these.
I use a scalpel - not that the results are anything to write home about.
When does your microscope arrive?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

mrsonchus

#5 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:56 pm

Hi Charlie, I started with a hand microtome - the type that has a cylinder that rises as a wheel on the base is turned, I used a simple straight razor as is usually supplied with such a microtome, to pretty good effect. The knives you mention are not intended for hand microtomes, more for rotary and rocking types, maybe even sledge if the edge is hard enough.

I've several posts in this forum with video and demonstrations of both technique and results if you care to have a peek. Here's a link to my youtube sectioning videos you may find handy. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... qlxZgCyeTo

As far as the blades you've mentioned, I wouldn't make them my first choice, but they are so reasonably priced and have a honing-back with them to give the correct angle when sharpening that I'd buy them anyway. A way to use them is merely a matter for a little improvisation.

Having tried several different methods the sharpest and cleanest-cutting blades that I've used besides the absolutely superb disposable ones I now use with my Shandon rotary microtome, are simply the old-fashioned 'safety razor' type - the double-edged thinner ones can give you quite silky-smooth sections! :) I discovered this when I 'mounted' one (taped it on..) onto the ruined (by my own incompetence :oops: ) cutting-edge of the blade used in my rocking-microtome - the result was quite startling! This test too is detailed in my posts somewhere.

Specifically, here's a link to my hand-microtome tests for technique...

Hope it may help a bit. :)
Last edited by mrsonchus on Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
John B

Charles

#6 Post by Charles » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:59 pm

The AO is the better knife since it has it's handle as well as the positioning back. You can buy table top microtomes fairly cheap and you could use this knife or straight razors.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Mi ... e&_sacat=0

charlie

#7 Post by charlie » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:16 pm

Thank you for the replies 75RR, mrsonchus & Charles.

Looks like many options; some more expensive than others. I will try something like John suggested for now and grab a knofe blade or two if they go cheaply enough. :)