EOS 4000D modification

Here you can discuss DIY adaptations to the microscope.
Dave S

EOS 4000D modification

#1 Post by Dave S » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:35 am

I bought an EOS 4000d camera, specifically for use with the microscope, because while not expensive, it has a 18Mp APS-C sensor, is relatively small, made of lightweight plastic, unlike my EOS 5d MklV, which is big, heavy, and expensive.

Using the 4000d on battery was likely to prove a bit of a pain, during long sessions in 'Live View', and so a main power supply was needed.

These come in the form of a dummy battery, into which plugs a lead from the AC to DC step down power supply. Unfortunately, unlike most DSLRs, the 4000d does not have any provision for connecting to an external power supply, so using a dummy battery is the only option.

This gives rise to another problem, how to get the cable from the dummy battery out from the camera body. Leaving the battery compartment door open, is not an option, because a lug on the inside of the door, operates a recessed micro switch, when the door is closed.

So, my solution was to file a small slot in the camera body, to allow access fro the cable, and the door to be closed. There is no way I would take a file to an expensive camera, but the 4000d was bought specifically for use with a microscope, and cost only £229.

The dummy battery, and associated power supply, cost £12.99 from Amazon, and delivered free.

I now have an ideal size, and weight, 18Mp DSLR that runs off an external powers supply, as opposed to a re-chargeable battery.
camera-mod-2.jpg
camera-mod-2.jpg (116.13 KiB) Viewed 13361 times
camera-mod-1.jpg
camera-mod-1.jpg (86.78 KiB) Viewed 13361 times
camera-mod-3.jpg
camera-mod-3.jpg (103.72 KiB) Viewed 13361 times
camera-mod-4.jpg
camera-mod-4.jpg (135.27 KiB) Viewed 13361 times
Suffolk, UK

tgss

Re: EOS 4000D modification

#2 Post by tgss » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:54 am

Thanks for that Dave. I was about to make a dummy battery and install it using a similar slot for the cable, something I've previously done on a camcorder for my son. I didn't realize that dummy batteries were commercially available but will certainly make use of one now.
Tom W.

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:04 pm

Hi Dave,
clever modification, I'm sure this will be of use for other microscopists!

Bob

Dave S

#4 Post by Dave S » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:59 pm

tgss wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:54 am
Thanks for that Dave. I was about to make a dummy battery and install it using a similar slot for the cable, something I've previously done on a camcorder for my son. I didn't realize that dummy batteries were commercially available but will certainly make use of one now.
Tom W.
This is the one I bought Tom, and I guess that Amazon.Com, over there will have the same, or similar.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GR9A32W/ ... 41_TE_dp_1
Suffolk, UK

jfiresto

#5 Post by jfiresto » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:30 pm

Good job modding the camera to run off the mains.

I have been buying the dummy batteries and then wiring them up to compact, desktop switching power supplies. Here is an adapter I found by searching AlixExpress for "Canon 4000D dummy battery". Three months ago, I bought the variant for an Olympus Pen camera, from the same manufacturer, Ring Team. The gold contacts on the two I have, still look fine, with no sign of underlying oxidation.

A friend got a bad shock from an inexpensive aftermarket iPhone power adapter he had bought from Amazon. I took it apart and showed him what had happened. Since then, neither of us has skimped on power adapters. Lately, I have been buying medical grade power supplies which are designed and tested to never be "surprising", even if you are wired up to them. They have only cost a few euros more.
-John

tgss

#6 Post by tgss » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:13 pm

Dave S wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:59 pm
tgss wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:54 am
Tom W.
This is the one I bought Tom, and I guess that Amazon.Com, over there will have the same, or similar.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GR9A32W/ ... 41_TE_dp_1
Thanks again Dave. Yes, Amazon Canada has exactly the same unit, except for the power plug of course, available at what appears to be an equivalent price, and even offers free shipping with Amazon Prime, so I've placed my order!
Tom W.

JodyMusto

#7 Post by JodyMusto » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:42 pm

Hi...the size of the imaging sensor is a crucial determinant of image quality. A large sensor will tend to have larger individual pixels that provide better low-light sensitivity, wider dynamic range, and richer color-depth than smaller pixel-units in a sensor of the same technological generation. Furthermore, a large sensor camera will give the photographer more possibilities to use shallow depth-of-field in order to isolate a subject from the background.

pcb design for manufacturing checklist
Last edited by JodyMusto on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roldorf

#8 Post by Roldorf » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:47 am

Hi JodyMusto,

Hmmmm? Not quite sure how you link image sensor size or image quality to 'Dummy Battery' adapter.

Hi Dave S
Glad you got sorted with the battery adapter is it really a year since you bought the camera?

Alan

Unknown Brand: Optika SFX 91: Bresser Science Infinity: Canon 4000d
ImageImage

MichaelG.

#9 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:04 am

JodyMusto wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:42 pm

... more possibilities to use shallow depth-of-field in order to isolate a subject from the background.

Welcome aboard, Jody

In microscopy ... Shallow depth-of-field tends to be a ‘given’ and is usually a frustration [hence the interest in stacking]

One of the few examples of it being used to advantage can be seen here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9541

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

viktor j nilsson

#10 Post by viktor j nilsson » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:04 am

Old post, but what the heck. If you don't want to drill a hole in the battery door, another option is to remove the door and insert something in the slot where the micro switch is located. I simply inserted a small piece of foam material (plastazote) which pressed against the switch and ensured that the camera thought that the door was closed.

Mraster2

#11 Post by Mraster2 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:31 pm

Welcome Jody, from me too,

thanks for raising this post,
as it happens my thoughts were also turning to external power for my canon 60D
and if, or not, I should continue using my pride&joy camera for continuous live view microscopy.

So both of DaveS' thoughts are interesting, two questions arise :

(A) noted on the lightweight 4000d suggestion, which other cheaper-end dslr's (my mind boggles at all the multiplicity of Canon models) may be contenders for this application **

For Viktor, any suggestions : (B) if I continue using my 60D how might I remove (non-destructively !) the battery door, it looks similar to the 4000. I have tested the microswitch and yes, job done :)
I need a microscope to examine the hinge !! I suspect a coaxial-concentric spring loaded pin but it is all very small in there. I also suspect if I remove the bits and put them in a "Safe Place" the gremlins will move them, lol!

Interesting link MichaelG, thank you,

It is good where newly resurrected old topics lead,,,
and it isnt especially old, is it ?

** I am also contemplating a 5mp (or more? Nyquist rules aliaslyKO) dedicated USB cam solution, but that is a significant expenditure for a single use camera, whereas a lightweight dslr would be handy domestically when the big-gun 60d is not needed.
Last edited by Mraster2 on Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrsonchus

#12 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:44 pm

Hi all, I don't suppose this adapter would do the trick for a 60D?

I use a similar one for my 200D. A really handy item.

A spare cover is cheap enough too - so a hole may be made for the cable. The 200D (as-did my previous 1200D) has a slot fitted, with a little rubber plug.
Here's a link to a spare 60D cover...
John B

tomschofield00

#13 Post by tomschofield00 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:38 pm

Hi Dave,

I have copied you exact layout with the 4000D, I have filed a little gap for the wire to lead through and have plugged it all in for it not to work?

It still works with the original battery but not with the dummy battery? Do you have any idea why this may be?

Kind Regards,

Tom