99% Sure on Paramecium

Have problems identifying an organism? Ask for help here.
linuxusr

99% Sure on Paramecium

#1 Post by linuxusr » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:58 pm

Regarding the ubiquitous and oft studied paramecium, this is my first time seeing one. Can you confirm? I'm 99% sure.

https://youtu.be/uWAp1sNDxPY

https://youtu.be/J2ItlJVSvsMh

Sorry about the motion. It's a little nauseating!

There appear to be two macronuclei. Is that possible? If the second is micro, it sure is macro in size . . .
Nikon AlphaPhot 2 < Zeiss Primostar 3, Full Köhler; Axiocam 208 Color < UHD LG
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

linuxusr

Re: 99% Sure on Paramecium

#2 Post by linuxusr » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:00 pm

OP: Oh, and any advice on video? I was thinking I should make 'em shorter.
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

Javier

#3 Post by Javier » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:02 am

It sure looks for Paramecium, nice catch.

As for the video, I too struggle to get gentle motion on my videos, but it is definitely something you could try improving. The length of the video is personal, but it would be nice to edit the video to cut the moments where you lose the specimen or when you change objectives. Also, the condenser looks way too close at 400x IMHO, and you have some kind of debris on your optical path.

I'm telling all these because you asked and because they are things I'm trying to improve myself.

Nicely done, by the way!

smollerthings

#4 Post by smollerthings » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:11 am

Nice videos. What is your setup?

I too struggle with those pesky grains of dust (they are in my eye piece). I just can't get rid of them. I recently found that even my micro fiber cloth shed some dust...

Bruce Taylor

#5 Post by Bruce Taylor » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:12 pm

linuxusr wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:58 pm
There appear to be two macronuclei. Is that possible? If the second is micro, it sure is macro in size . . .
Yes, Paramecium sp. :) All of the dozen-and-a-half morphospecies of Paramecium have a single macronuclear nodule. It's easy to mistake lumps of undigested food for macronuclei.

linuxusr

#6 Post by linuxusr » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:05 pm

Javier wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:02 am

As for the video, I too struggle to get gentle motion on my videos, but it is definitely something you could try improving. The length of the video is personal, but it would be nice to edit the video to cut the moments where you lose the specimen or when you change objectives. Also, the condenser looks way too close at 400x IMHO, and you have some kind of debris on your optical path.

I'm telling all these because you asked and because they are things I'm trying to improve myself.

Nicely done, by the way!
Thanks, yes, as I re-look, I realize that this is a beautiful high-res specimen view . . . not an everyday catch. Thanks for pointing out debris in my optical path. I have tried to recap same, rotating my oculars and checking my objectives but cannot find it. I did find a little dust on my ocular which I blew out with a bellows from the inside of the tube . . . Regarding the condenser, I have full Koehler and the condenser lens was moved into a precise position in the Z direction. I am so UNinto video editing but it is something I must learn; I agree, take out the sections where there is no specimen. Thanks, Javier.
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

linuxusr

#7 Post by linuxusr » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:11 pm

smollerthings wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:11 am
Nice videos. What is your setup?

I too struggle with those pesky grains of dust (they are in my eye piece). I just can't get rid of them. I recently found that even my micro fiber cloth shed some dust...
Yes, after a re-look, I realize that this high-res and sharp video of this specimen is not an everyday catch. Thanks. Tried to recapitulate that dust situation but couldn't find, except for one or two grains in my ocular which I blew out with a bellows from inside the tube . . .

The setup is as below: Zeiss Primostar 3 and, ditto, Zeiss Axiocam 208 Color, UHD, output to 4K LG monitor.
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

linuxusr

#8 Post by linuxusr » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:13 pm

Bruce Taylor wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:12 pm
linuxusr wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:58 pm
Yes, Paramecium sp. :) All of the dozen-and-a-half morphospecies of Paramecium have a single macronuclear nodule. It's easy to mistake lumps of undigested food for macronuclei.
Thanks, as always, Bruce Taylor. You have set me on the right path with your various recommendations for resources.
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

Javier

#9 Post by Javier » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:40 pm

linuxusr wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:05 pm
Javier wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:02 am

Nicely done, by the way!
Regarding the condenser, I have full Koehler and the condenser lens was moved into a precise position in the Z direction. I am so UNinto video editing but it is something I must learn; I agree, take out the sections where there is no specimen. Thanks, Javier.

Please forgive my English. I meant to write "the condenser looks way too closed". I think the image is showing some diffraction patterns. I would open the condenser a bit more.