Amoeba and?

Have problems identifying an organism? Ask for help here.
qanunji

Amoeba and?

#1 Post by qanunji » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:09 pm

Hi,
I assume the left one is an amoeba, what about the right one?
at some point two "balls" are emerging from the amoeba, what are they?
thanks for helping
https://youtu.be/9_4Aa0RdDis

Bruce Taylor

Re: Amoeba and?

#2 Post by Bruce Taylor » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:20 pm

The one on the left is an amoebozoan with pseudopods of the "mayorellian" type (so, likely Mayorella, or possibly Korotnevella). The spheres it expels are food waste, i.e. something the amoeba couldn't digest. :)

The long-armed fellow on the right is also an amoebozoan, but that one is in its "floating form," the shape it assumes when drifting in the water column. Identifying amoeboid floating forms is quite difficult (it might be the same species as the other amoeba, but it's hard to be sure). When it settles on a substrate, it will adopt its "locomotive form", at which point there is at least a chance that it can be identified.

qanunji

#3 Post by qanunji » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:30 pm

Bruce Taylor wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:20 pm
The one on the left is an amoebozoan with pseudopods of the "mayorellian" type (so, likely Mayorella, or possibly Korotnevella). The spheres it expels are food waste, i.e. something the amoeba couldn't digest. :)

The long-armed fellow on the right is also an amoebozoan, but that one is in its "floating form," the shape it assumes when drifting in the water column. Identifying amoeboid floating forms is quite difficult (it might be the same species as the other amoeba, but it's hard to be sure). When it settles on a substrate, it will adopt its "locomotive form", at which point there is at least a chance that it can be identified.
Thank you very much, amoebozoan is fine for me for the moment :)

Red_Green

#4 Post by Red_Green » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:03 am

How did you get amoeba to show up so perfectly in Darkfield?

Whenever I try to look at amoeba in darkfield, they just look like see through gelatinous blobs :(

qanunji

#5 Post by qanunji » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:46 am

Red_Green wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:03 am
How did you get amoeba to show up so perfectly in Darkfield?

Whenever I try to look at amoeba in darkfield, they just look like see through gelatinous blobs :(
Well, maybe it's a matter of adjusting exposure?