Help identifying cells from dog paw

Have problems identifying an organism? Ask for help here.
meesh

Help identifying cells from dog paw

#1 Post by meesh » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:43 am

Hi my dog has recently developed some sort of irritation to her paws. I took a sample using acetate tape to look under the microscope. I am unsure what some of the cells are, can someone help me identify them please?
Thank you!
slide.jpeg
slide.jpeg (142.19 KiB) Viewed 1762 times

apochronaut

Re: Help identifying cells from dog paw

#2 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:53 pm

Do you live in an area where salt or other de-icers are used?

meesh

#3 Post by meesh » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:43 pm

Hi thanks for your reply. I'm not sure about de-icer however this problem with my dogs paw started when I moved home which is a new build house. There are still houses being built so there is always a lot of cement and rubble etc on the paths. I think perhaps some building material is irritating her.
Is there anything suggestive of this on the slide?
Thanks

BramHuntingNematodes

#4 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:58 pm

Would need a SEM to see the crystal structures associated with cement but home construction is full of dangerous irritating stuff fiber glass, regular glass, nails, staples, wire. Cement itself is quite irritating. I would suspect one of these before a pathogen.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

meesh

#5 Post by meesh » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:39 pm

Thank you, I've taken her to the vets numerous times over the past few months and didn't think of this connection :shock: . Going to try walking her out the area to see if it solves the issue! TY

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:06 pm

Going back to the de-icer. Historically salt doesn't affect paws too much but will if there are fissures in the pads which could be caused by certain building materials. However, the new environmentally friendly de-icers ( usually blue) are mixtures, containing some salt and one or more of about 4 other compounds. Some of those can irritate a dog's pads. We have to dip our dog's feet in warm water after he is out once it gets icey because of pad irritation. This problem only started after the blue de-icers became popular about 10 years ago. He starts picking his paws up one at a time when out.
I don't know if de-icing is common in your area but it is here.