Identification help:Are they mayorella&Frontonia acuminata?

Have problems identifying an organism? Ask for help here.
woyjwjl

Identification help:Are they mayorella&Frontonia acuminata?

#1 Post by woyjwjl » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:13 pm

Amoeba phase+BF+Oblique+DF&Ciliate

Are they mayorella&Frontonia acuminata?

It is understood that certain amoebas(naegleria fowleri) are associated with disease transmission, so I wonder if I should be worried?
Micrographers from China, thanks to the forum for providing a platform for exchange

Bruce Taylor

Re: Identification help:Are they mayorella&Frontonia acuminata?

#2 Post by Bruce Taylor » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:26 pm

The amoeba could be Mayorella, or it could be Korotnevella (differentiating them with light microscopy can be difficult). Both amoebae are in class Discosea, in the supergroup Amoebozoa. Neither of those genera infects humans. Naegleria fowleri is something else entirely! While it is amoeboid in one of its life-phases, Naegleria belongs to a totally different group called Heterolobosea, which falls in the supergroup Discoba (a group which also includes the euglenids). Amoebozoans and Heteroloboseans are not closely related at all! In fact, members of Amoebozoa are more closely related to you and me than they are to Naegleria and its kin (amoebozoans and animals both belong to a supergroup called Amorphea).

The ciliate has a pigmented spot in the anterior (along with a more diffuse pigmented area in the posterior), so yes...it's F. acuminata (the only other candidate is F. atra, which is larger and usually more heavily pigmented).

woyjwjl

Re: Identification help:Are they mayorella&Frontonia acuminata?

#3 Post by woyjwjl » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:22 am

Bruce Taylor wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:26 pm
Thank you for the professional explanation.

Every time I see your speech, I learn something new.
1.png
1.png (113.7 KiB) Viewed 809 times
Micrographers from China, thanks to the forum for providing a platform for exchange