new to forum, high school biology teacher needs help with ID

Have problems identifying an organism? Ask for help here.
mzapata

new to forum, high school biology teacher needs help with ID

#1 Post by mzapata » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:27 pm

I am new to this forum and am a high school teacher. I would like help identifying this little microbe on our Elodea leaf slide. We bought the elodea from Carolina Biological. Once we got the elodea we placed it in an active aquarium with fish and plants. We then placed a single leaf on a slide using a we mount. I have hopefully attached the video of it moving around.

https://youtube.com/shorts/CUXdo7q_0iM?feature=share

Dennis

Re: new to forum, high school biology teacher needs help with ID

#2 Post by Dennis » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:34 pm

A Rotifer.
-Dennis

mzapata

#3 Post by mzapata » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:26 am

Thank you!

WesPau

#4 Post by WesPau » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:58 am

Its class is monogonanta, maybe the genus notommata.

annissteversonfir57

#5 Post by annissteversonfir57 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:05 pm

mzapata wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:27 pm
I am new to this forum and am a high school teacher. I would like help identifying this little microbe on our Elodea leaf slide. We bought the elodea from Carolina Biological. Once we got the elodea we placed it in an active aquarium with fish and plants. We then placed a single leaf on a slide using a we mount. I have hopefully attached the video of it moving around.

https://youtube.com/shorts/CUXdo7q_0iM?feature=share
This is quite interesting. I did something similar in lab work when I was in college. Then I didn’t know how to write a report and found a writing service, used https://ca.edubirdie.com/nursing-paper-writing-service for this. Try to find a video on YouTube with microorganisms. Maybe someone will have something similar and you will understand what it is.
If you have any doubts about identifying a microorganism, it is best to contact an experienced biologist or microbiologist who can help you identify its species.
Last edited by annissteversonfir57 on Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlie g

#6 Post by charlie g » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:15 pm

Hello, mazapata, so nice to sit in on your class and listen to your students. Thank you!

It would be wonderful if after showing this video...it would really help if you could include a few paused frames with the organism in the better focus.

I do see glimpses of ventral appendages on numerous sections of your video..it is so active an organism..I am teased to grasp morphology..I do not think the entity with appendages is a rotifer...I also see glimpses , at the anterior end, hints of the characteristic internal 'water bear type' feeding apparatus. On one brief segment..I actually see a fast forward swipe of the right side foward most appendadage ( complete with 'water bear type claw). I see brief moments with two dark eye-spots...paused images could capture this...I really think your students were correct who called this a water bear.

A good teaching moment for the teacher..would be to try and flush this unique find off to a small petri dish..try and get that bear out in the open..to place on another wet mount slide.

I really enjoyed my highschool biology teachers, great experience. charlie g